database_1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Follow up on Dcount question

I previously had a problem solved here using a Dcount. Previously I checked how many trainings there were when the TRNG_ID = (combobox value) and EMP_ID = (Combobox value). This worked out fine and I was able to check for duplicates using this method. I have now run into a problem however where it seems to be more beneficial to count how many different TRNG_IDs I have that have when TRAINING = (combobox value) and EMP_ID = (Combobox value). Here is the code I tried using to accomplish this.
    Dim count As Integer
    Dim lookup As Integer
    Dim emp As Integer
    emp = Me.TXT_EMP.Column(2)
    Dim trng As Integer
    trng = Me.TXT_TR.Column(1)
    count = DCount("[TRNG_ID]", "[EMP_TRNG_TBL]", "[TRAINING] ='" & trng & "'" And "[EMP_ID] = " & emp)

This code is giving me a data type mismatch error and I am not sure where this is occurring. If you could enlighten me on what I am missing, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    count using asterisk,
    and if : trng is string (your string delimiter was off)
    and emp is numeric:

count = DCount("*", "[EMP_TRNG_TBL]", "[TRAINING] ='" & trng & "' And [EMP_ID] = " & emp)

Windows 10 Office 365
    It worked! So instead of counting how many ID's have the same TRNG and EMP as the combobox values, we're now just counting how often the TRNG and EMP both equal the comboboxes while in the same row?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Referencing record ID should produce same result because every record has an ID (no Nulls). Your error was caused by improper syntax due to extra quote marks - in red below.

count = DCount("[TRNG_ID]", "[EMP_TRNG_TBL]", "[TRAINING] ='" & trng & "'" And "[EMP_ID] = " & emp)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you so much for the reply. If I can try to take it one step further, what if the trng field was a multiselect listbox, how would you cycle through every training chosen while keeping the same emp value? This code is to check and make sure that the user is not inputting an already input training. Thank you for your time.

June7 is offline VIP
    Loop through listbox selection and either build CSV string for use as IN() function parameter array or test for individual training.

Example of using IN()

count = DCount("[TRNG_ID]", "[EMP_TRNG_TBL]", "[TRAINING] IN (" & trng & ") And [EMP_ID] = " & emp)

Compiled criteria would look like: [TRAINING] IN (1, 4, 7) AND

If TRAINING is text field would need apostrophes: [TRAINING] IN ('abc', 'def', 'ghi') AND

However, if you need to test each training individually, run the DCount() test within listbox loop

count = DCount("[TRNG_ID]", "[EMP_TRNG_TBL]", "[TRAINING] = '" & listbox item here & "' And [EMP_ID] = " & emp)

Here is example of looping listbox to build string: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-50.html.

How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    That makes sense but I am still unsure of where to put the Dcount for the training listbox item to be able to loop through all selections

June7 is offline VIP
    Did you review code in referenced link? Instead of building CSV string, use DCount() - something like:
    Code:
    'Loop through the ItemsSelected in the listbox. With Me.lstTraining For Each varItem In .ItemsSelected If Not IsNull(varItem) Then If DCount("[TRNG_ID]", "[EMP_TRNG_TBL]", "[TRAINING] = '" & .ItemData(varItem) & "' And [EMP_ID] = " & emp) > 0 Then Exit Sub End If Next End With

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.