DarthBrute is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Changing form control

I'm fairly new to access so let's pretend I'm stupid. I made a "select" query which I created a form from. Within the form there are several categories that have a number entry (i.e. apples are worth 5 points, oranges are worth 8 points). But what I want to do with the form is change the control so the user can select a check box to find all records that contain apples and/or oranges. How can I do this?

Also, if I lock a calculated field that should prevent the user from entering data right?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    building check boxes is tedious and not great if products change, because then you must redesign the form.
    instead use values. Make a 'pick' list table , the user can dbl-click items in the list, and it is added to the tPickList table.
    (this way you can add/subract item values without more programming)

then join the tPickedList table to the main data table and only those items will get pulled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pick state lbls.png  

DarthBrute is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have about 65 different fields that I want to be able to search by. Most of which are categorical. I have attached the file so you can see what I am talking about. On the form I put notes on specifics. All data entered in the database is all fake and doesn't actually contain PII.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuWwCQc0BXWsgqgg...W7K8A?e=0DBdL5

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why would you talk about apples and/or oranges when the dB clearly pertains to MEPS (Military Entrance Processing Station)?

I would suggest you get the table designs straightened out before proceeding. Every table should have an Autonumber field type for the primary key (PK) field. Tale the time to create a better field name than "ID".
    Do not use all caps for object names. It is very hard to read. (Use "camel back" - example: "FirstName"), Object names should be only letters or numbers (the underscore is the exception)
    NO spaces in object names!

AutoNumber
    ----------------
    Purpose: Use an AutoNumber field to provide a unique value that serves no other purpose than to make each record unique. The most common use for an AutoNumber field is as a primary key.
    (Use a Meaningless Field for the Key Field.... ie an Autonumber type field)

Autonumbers--What they are NOT and What They Are
    Microsoft Access Tables: Primary Key Tips and Techniques
    Relational Database Primary Keys

Do not use Look Up FIELDs, Multi-Value Fields or Calculated Fields
    The evils of lookup fields
    About calculated table fields <<<--- Important!!
    Multivalued Fields - BAD

It looks to me that the table "APPLICANTS" could/should be split into 4 or 5 more tables.

As far as searching, it depends on the table designs. Right now, the Access design looks like an Excel spreadsheet design - not the best design for a relational database.......

My 2 cents...........

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.