treckberg is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Bound main form locks subform

Using Windows 10 Pro. Office 365 downloaded onto a PC.
    I'm at my wits end. I have distilled the problem to a very simple example:

1. Bound (table, not query) Main Form with Single Form View, 1 bound textbox from the same table-- any subform of any type -- as soon as you enter or edit the text in the main form's textbox, the subform becomes inaccessible as if it were locked
    2. Unbound Main Form with Single Form View, 1 unbound textbox -- any subform of any type -- works fine
    Popup/Modal doesn't matter, all forms & controls Enabled & Unlocked, DataEntry=No, Additions/Deletions/Edits=Yes, Master/Child gives same result whether used or not
    Large split database with back and front ends.

This doesn't seem like a lock issue because the problem occurs even when the subform is not attached to any data.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    If the main form is a new record, you cannot enter subform data until the main form is saved.

If the main form record already exists (saved) and you edit, then you can edit subform data IF:
    you linked the subform to the main form via properties:
    LINK MASTER FIELD
    LINK CHILD FIELD

Windows 10 Office 365
    Not a new record.
    My first try was with Master/Child links. It didn't work.
    Here is what I need to do:
    Main form is the record for Transaction #x. It contains everything about the Transaction except the deadlines which are kept in a different table.
    Subform is the "deadlines" for Transaction #x. I display it as a subform so it can be in continuous view and resize itself as needed.

The record for the Transaction is not updated until the form closes so that the user can cancel if they need to. The user needs to be able to make changes in both forms. Is this not possible? What good is a subform if it's always locked?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Normally, record on bound main form will commit as soon as subform is selected. Otherwise, how could new main record and associated dependent records be created?

I have no problem entering data into form/subform when master/child links are not set. The main record is still committed when subform gets focus.

How do you prevent main record from committing when subform gets focus?

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    I prevent the updates from taking effect by setting cancel to "true" in the beforeupdate event. I change cancel to "false" when the user selects the "keep it" button, then I close the form/subform and force an update. I've been doing this for years with great success as it has stopped a great many bad entries. So, clicking on the subform wouldn't cause a data update, but the system would know that no update occurred, so maybe that's why it won't let me inside the subform.

This week was the first time I inserted a subform into the mix, and I didn't think about what the system might do if the update was stopped. I suppose I will need to resort to some sort of linked-forms system that forces them to process it sequentially -- not what I want, but at least it will get the job done.

Thanks for the information.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.