BruceCovey is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Unintended design problem - Cascade/update issues

I've attached a pic of my tables/relationships.

My database tracks cable runs in my video facility. The same SystemName is used as a lookup for both systemName_src & systemName_dst, and PortName is used as a lookup for both portName_src & portName_dst. Looking at my relationships to the SystemConnections table, I can update/cascade SystemName and PortName changes just fine to systemName_src & portName_src, but it leaves systemName_dst & portName_dst hanging unchanged... It's not a huge database ( less than 2000 cable entries ), but this could get me into trouble. I can't point the PriKey/lookup field to two items in the second table and maintain referential integrity and cascade updates.

I'd appreciate any ideas to solve this issue. ( I hope I did the attachment correctly ).
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why would you need cascade update? Are you linking on autonumber/number or text fields? Is changing descriptive text a common occurrence? Wouldn't need cascade update if you used autonumber/number key linking.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

BruceCovey is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ahh... I should have caught that earlier. I made a change halfway through after starting down the autonumber/number key linking in one of the other tables. Eliminates the cascade update issue entirely for me. Not that many changes over time, but enough that could screw me over. I'll get this fixed now and transfer the data.

Thanks for the rapid response.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.