Planetdune is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Hiding "unassigned objects"

I have a database with a huge amount of tables. Now when I assign a table to a catagory it dissapears from the unassigned list, which is good. However, it only dissapears from this list for the catagory it is assigned to. If I switch to another catagory I see tables that have been assigned to another cat. but not this one (but any of my tables are only ever assigned to one catagory), the result is that I have a huge amount of tables in each catagory that ARE assigned to another catagory and don't belong in this catagory at all listed in the "unassigned objects" for that catagory which makes it messy and hard to work with.

Question:
    Can I have it so that unassigned objects only ever show tables that are not assigned to ANY catagory? As soon as a table is assigned somewhere it should never pop up in any unassigned objects list.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    It sounds like if category B doesn't have the same properties as A, then you'll see the object as the property belongs to the category, not the object. If you want to hide an object in the nav pane from every view (that IS what this is about?) then you need to set it's visible property to hidden. Personally, I don't see the point in grouping objects based on any particular attribute and I don't really know what you mean by "assigned". To know what form or table goes with what query for example, I tend to give them similar names and I always group everything by object so that
    a) I know frmEmpl, qryEmpl, tblEmpl are all related
    b) they are easy to find because they're all displayed alphabetically in their object group
    c) all objects are visible to me. They're not visible to users because their db version is locked down in a way that they can't see these objects anyway, so I'm not sure I see the need to "hide" them from anyone, least of all me, the developer.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Planetdune is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    It sounds ...
    I have a feeling you do not entirely understand my "issue". I think my problem is way simpler. I added some screenshots to make it more clear. In the first screenshot (cat1.png) you can see I have a catagory called "Inventory (Apple) and below that other catagories as well (such as "Inventory (Commodore)" etc...

Now view Cat2.png.

When I open up the "Inventory (Apple) catagory I see all my tables (I only use tables, nothing else) that are assigned to this catagory, in this case 3 subcatagories holding 4 tables (the ones starting with "(AP) xxxxxxx".) Below that I have a huge list (and it is only going to get bigger) of "unassigned objects". Now all these tables ARE assigned, just not to the "Inventory (Apple)" catagory. But for example some are linked to the "Inventory (Commodore)" or "Inventory (Amstrad)" etc catagories.

I would like it so that the "unassigned objects" list only shows items (in my case tables) that are NOT assgined ANYWHERE. So that basically the list will be empty regardless of what catagory I am viewing unless I create a new table and did not assign it yet somewhere.

Hope this makes it clearer and thank you for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cat1.png   cat2.png  

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I'm with Micron. I have never done any special organizing of the navigation pane.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I agree with both June and Micron that grouping objects by category in the navigation pane isn't very useful.
    However I have used it in the past and found it can be problematic.
    Nevertheless, what you are asking for is exactly what should happen.
    Objects should appear in their assigned groups and only those objects not in any group should appear in unassigned objects.

If you want to use this feature I suggest you clear all existing assignments and start again
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Another issue is the special characters in object names.
    Object names should only be letters or numbers (the underscore is the only exception).
    Also, do not start an object name with a number.

From the attached images, it appears that you have formatted the tables. (a waste of time)
    All data entry should be through forms.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Now that you mentioned naming, I'll add that a lot of those tables seem to be just duplicates e.g. should be 1 inventory table, not 6. Tables contain attachments as well, which might eventually cause excessive db file size.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Planetdune,
    Can you tell us why this categorization is important to you? It seems like a subject that many do not/would not use. In my limited view, with no understanding of your requirement, it appears you have opted to segregate, design and name tables where many would have more generic tables and would use queries and/or forms to display/use the categorizations.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.