miek770 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question Any negative effect from using a query instead of a table for a form?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if MS Access had specific issues when a form (continuous form in my case; don't think it matters though) is "based" on (i.e.: take its data from) a query joining several tables instead of a single table.

I'm not sure why, but I had a continuous subform which took its data from such a query (a main table with *I believe* adequate joins to other tables) and the form wouldn't let me add new rows, even though the form permissions were set correctly. I had a look at the query and found that I didn't actually need it and could simply link the form to a single table. The values I queried from other tables were only used in combo boxes and so were only linked to the remote id in the form's relevant table. Simply replacing the query with a table solved the issue.

My database is on a MS SQL Server; MS Access is only used for the frontend. Could my problem have been caused by the fact that I didn't configure a relationship graph in MS Access? Or in MS SQL Server? Or should that not have been an issue at all and my problem was probably simply in my query definition?

I have other forms that use queries, including runtime calculated values, and that have been working fine for years now, which is why I find it particularly odd that this one didn't appear to accept it. So I'm thinking it really must've been a problem with my query, but I'm still curious to know if it could have been something else.

Sorry, I know this is a vague question and I don't have the old query at hand to show you... thus I can't even reproduce the behavior. Still, thought I'd ask.

Thank you,

Michel

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You likely ran into one of these:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That was quick, and I'm sure you nailed it. Thank you!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    No problem, and welcome to the site by the way!
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.