database_1 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Having trouble layering filters for a subform

I have a form that shows a query of Machines and Parts. There are many parts to a machine. I am able to filter by machine and part using a combobox by writing out the criteria on the query to read Form!FormName!ComboboxName. This does well for one filter but if I want to do this with two fields, both comboboxes have to be used to get any values back. What I want is to be able to see all of the parts of one machine without having to pick a specific part if I did not want to. How can I accomplish this?

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Have a look at this thread, try to implement Ajax's solution for the parts combo.
    https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=80665
    Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks for the help. I am still not understanding the tick method you were talking about in the other post. Is that the best way to filter a query using multiple combo boxes?

Gicu is offline VIP
    That same logic can be applied to the parts combo, if empty show all parts for the machine. Or you can simply use Like Forms!frmYourForm!cboPartsFilter & "*" in the criteria row for the parts combo (adjust the expression to fit your names).

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Windows 10 Office 365
    Am I supposed to have a field for the parts combo box? And how can you check if the combo box is empty or not?

Gicu is offline VIP
    In your original post you said you have a form that you want to filter for a specific machine (via a machine combo) and one specific part if parts combo is populated or all parts for that machine if it is left blank. So depending on how your parts are set up (in a separate tblParts table with PartID (numeric)/PartDescrription (text) fields vs part name (text) ) you could:
    1. use Form!FormName!ComboboxMachine for the criteria in the machine combo and Like Forms!frmYourForm!cboPartsFilter & "*" in the parts combo, making sure the parts combo's bound column is the text part description and not the numeric part ID (as that would return all parts starting with that PartID - i.e. for PartId =1 you would also get PartIds 10,11,12,......,100,101...
    2.Use the same logic from the thread I posted earlier and put Forms!frmYourForm!cboPartsFilter OR Isnull(Forms!frmYourForm!cboPartsFilter)=True in the criteria for the parts combo - probably Acces will split it on two rows like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	combo.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	41971

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.