PSSMargaret is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Microsoft Access Outdated Software

Just looking for some general information. I'm in the middle of developing an Access database for a state government office. The database is not going to be large - mostly likely 100 - 200 records. They just need tracking and reporting capabilities on their projects and were previously pulling together information in a hurry from multiple different Excel spreadsheets. The client wants to add some additional items to the database and are in the process of adding funds to my existing purchase order. The State's IT office is rejecting the purchase order and wants to know why they are using outdated software.

I understand that there are other software options out there (Office365 Lists, SQL, etc.) but why should a small office overlook Access when they already have it in their current Microsoft Office Suite and the database is only going to hold between 100 to 200 records and will never have a need to be on the web.

I have always enjoyed working in Access especially for small businesses but this is not the first time I've experienced IT personnel who look down on Access.

What other software should they consider if not something they already have?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I also worked for state government and faced same situation. We needed a new db to replace dBaseIV DOS system which was developed on the job by staff over 20 years. Official standard for database was Oracle and IT would not provide support for Access. DB would have to be on server in office 500 miles away. Building and maintaining would have been a nightmare. So we decided to do the same thing with Access that was done with dBaseIV - never had any IT support for that either - build it ourselves. Job was handed over to me half-built.

Access isn't any more outdated than Excel or Word.

Doesn't really matter what other software is out there, will face same roadblocks by IT.

Suggest they learn Access just as they have learned Excel and Word and build it themselves, especially for such a small db. By 200 records, did you really mean 200 projects?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

PSSMargaret is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks for your reply. Good points! Yes, there are only between 100 and 200 projects. The end user is loving it and wants to add a few more items (reports mostly) to the database.

Mickjav is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Some IT Departmants seem to enjoy the power trip but at the end of the day it's everybody else who suffers.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I admit to not following the link, but sometimes it's a policy thing wrt liability, especially in larger corporations or government. Rather than provide any openings for litigious lawyers who will not miss an opportunity to seize on the fact that you don't have the latest software version (including updates) it becomes the standard to have the best/latest. Otherwise, it can be viewed that the entity (government branch or business) did not take all steps to ensure that data, privacy, security, etc. was protected to the highest degree possible. You can always blame M$ for a security loophole if you're completely up to date, but if it comes down to a lawsuit you don't stand much of a chance if you're using software that is no longer supported.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    That reasoning then begs the question "Why allow Access install on every computer in the office?" IT would install just would not support any apps developed with it. For example, if you encountered issues printing to a particular printer - too bad, can't help you. Or need an efficient method to distribute frontend updates, figure it out yourself.

The link provides an example of how relevant Access still is. It's still often the right tool for a job.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    That reasoning then begs the question "Why allow Access install on every computer in the office?" IT would install just would not support any apps developed with it. For example, if you encountered issues printing to a particular printer - too bad, can't help you. Or need an efficient method to distribute frontend updates, figure it out yourself.

The link provides an example of how relevant Access still is. It's still often the right tool for a job.
    That pretty much describes the situation where I worked. If you warranted a license, you got one, but don't expect any IT support for Access itself. You might get support with an Access related issue IF there was someone on staff who knew something about it, in which case they'd log a help ticket. Issues related to things like printers might get you support because that's a gray area. My comment was intended to address the comments about why outdated software might not be allowed. IMO it matters not how many records you have to contend with. What matters in some cases is that outdated software is a liability.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    Outdated as in running Access 2010 instead of 2019? Even with updating to latest version, our IT did not support. Even though just doesn't make sense to use something like Oracle for a small application used by a single office, can't convince IT.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Outdated as in running Access 2010 instead of 2019?
    Not necessarily. It depended on M$ support regardless if it was Windows or a M$ app. So if M$ said no more support/updates for version ## for 'whatever' then updating was not an option. As I mentioned, in my case Access support was only there IF someone on staff was an Access practitioner and wasn't on vacation.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.