onlylonely is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit

Share my access program with my supplier

Hi guys,

I was wondering if i can use any platform to share my access program with my supplier and my supplier only can input information into the form and they are not allowed to view or access the database.

P/S: i'm referring to multiple supplier. So data confidentiality is very important.

It will be good if supplier can direct access to the program without downloading the program? Or maybe the database save in a place and program save in their desktop and I just need to do a one time setup to link the database and program?

Thank You...

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    This needs more info for clarification.

Is your database split? If so, it is easy to apply the FE to your suppliers. There is no need for them to have a copy of your BE datafile,
    However, the big issue will be where your BE is stored and whether your suppliers are on the same local network.
    If not, then you probably need to provide a means of them remoting in to your network to access the FE.
    I can see major security issues here
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

onlylonely is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    This needs more info for clarification.

Is your database split? If so, it is easy to apply the FE to your suppliers. There is no need for them to have a copy of your BE datafile,
    However, the big issue will be where your BE is stored and whether your suppliers are on the same local network.
    If not, then you probably need to provide a means of them remoting in to your network to access the FE.
    I can see major security issues here
    Hi Isladogs,

Thanks for your reply. Yup, my database is split.
    I can only provide them the FE and BE share into "Cloud" maybe?
    The only concern is like what you've mentioned, let them to access into our local drive then may have security issue.
    Or maybe there is another way of doing it? I'm not sure on this...

Can we use one drive, sharepoint (as far as i know sharepoint need to download the database and plug into the FE), or maybe others?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I can only provide them the FE and BE share into "Cloud" maybe?
    there are two ways, neither are free - the easiest is to put both front end and back end on a terminal or citrix server. Of these, terminal server is cheaper - around 25USD/month per user profile (i.e. you probably only need one supplier 'user', even if there are multiple supplier employees who use the db. However it is important that only one user accesses the FE at any one time so you would need to have some code to prevent that happening)

The other way is to migrate the BE to something like sql azure - and your supplier will need as a minimum a runtime version of access with your front end installed on each supplier user's local machine. Difficult to provide a cost for this since it is based on network traffic volume, data storage volume and size of the the gateway - too small and users either won't connect or the connection will run very slow.

There is a third way if you have a spare office machine. Install the front end on the spare machine and allow supplier users to connect to it using something like teamviewer or jump desktop - again only one supplier user can connect at a time and you will need to take steps to ensure users cannot go 'off piste' and have access to your other data - you would probably want to modify that front end to be a kiosk application.

My preference is terminal server. Other than relinking the front end once it is on terminal server, there is little else to do since no data crosses the WAN, only screen updates one way and mouse/keyboard events the other. In addition, it can be run from pretty much anywhere and performance will be similar to a user having the back end on their local machine.

Can we use one drive
    No, access may appear to run but will not work on one drive or similar.

Thanks for stepping in @Ajax.

@onlylonely
    The bottom line is that Access databases should NEVER be placed in the cloud. Any interruption to the connection whilst editing data may result in corruption.
    Linking to a SQL Server BE is more resilient if this is practical in your situation
    I've never used SharePoint but its no longer an option except in limited circumstances
    I have used both Terminal Services and remote connections such as Teamviewer.
    Either of those could work well provided you deal with the types of issues mentioned by Ajax
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    ......you would probably want to modify that front end to be a kiosk application.
    Could you tell us more about what a "kiosk" application is. I've not heard that terminology used before.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

CJ_London is offline VIP
    a kiosk app is one which once opened the user cannot leave or resize and the normal windows functionality such as the task bar and shortcuts are disabled. Basically once running, the app is the only thing the user can use.

Often they will be touch screen, examples might be a clocking in app for office/factory/doctors surgery, or one a guest in a hotel might use on a computer sitting on the reception desk to to see what facilities are available, make a booking, etc. You also see them used in places like tourist offices.

Colin has an example here http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/k...app/4594408188

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    a kiosk app is one which once opened the user cannot leave or resize and the normal windows functionality such as the task bar and shortcuts are disabled. Basically once running, the app is the only thing the user can use.

Often they will be touch screen, examples might be a clocking in app for office/factory/doctors surgery, or one a guest in a hotel might use on a computer sitting on the reception desk to to see what facilities are available, make a booking, etc. You also see them used in places like tourist offices.

Colin has an example here http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/k...app/4594408188
    Thank you
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Here's another example Bob.
    It mimics the patient login system in use in many doctors' surgeries and in hospital outpatients
    http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/p...ode/4594457111

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.