Profector is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Importiing large numbers decimal problems

Hi all,

I'm importing data from a csv text file and creating a new table in Access 365, then running a query on that data and exporting the results back into another csv. This process has worked fine for the longest time. Recently though, I started working with the new dataset which has larger numbers. Some of them are greater than 200,000,000.00. For some reason when I export these numbers a few of them are off by a .01. Oddly those values aren't being manipulated by query and it's only the largest values that have the problems. I assumed the problem was with the data type but I've tried importing as text and as a double but without luck. I've also by passed the query completely, just imported and then exported the data, and still had the problem. Any ideas? Thank you.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Maybe this would help.

Use decimal and specify scale and precision properties in the table.
    Precision is the total number of digits allowed in a number, including left and right of the decimal.
    Scale is the number of digits allowed to the right of the decimal.

So 1234567.89 has a precision of 9.
    123456.789 has a precision of 9 and a scale of 3.

A precision of 4 and scale of 2 would result in a number with a maximum value of 99.99

Percent designations like 125.5% would require precision 4 and scale of 3 (not one) since it is actually stored as 1.255.

Precision has a maximum value of 28, but textboxes in forms allow only a max of about 15 decimal places.

Profector is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you That may help with some changes to my process. The first time I import a file data I create a new table, then save the routine. This way I can used saved imports. Each time I import it overwrites the table with new data. When we import data and overwrite, precision isn't an option.

The other import option is to append the data. That might work if I setup a table with the correct data type then used a delete query to clear the table before every import.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The other import option is to append the data. That might work if I setup a table with the correct data type then used a delete query to clear the table before every import.
    That's what I would try. FWIW, it's better practice to use a permanent table with delete/append like that, than to continually delete and re-create the table.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.