astath is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

editable subform with info from other tables

This is a beginner’s question. I'm trying to create a form with a subform in order to perform data entry. What I would like is the subform to also have some info from other tables. Apparently in order for access to do that it changes the controlsource of the subform from a field of the subform table to a query. When doing so though I can't perform the data entry needed.

i.e. I have the table multicase and the subtable multicaseitems. The form multicase has a field that I can use to type a multicase ID and with the subform I want to add Case IDs (combobox with row source from the cases table). So far so good. If I use “add existing fields” to add fields from different tables like casedate that comes from a different table, they can’t be added. If I switch to design view of the subfrom and do the same I can add them but the subform wont add rows. key fact is that I dont need to update the values of the other tables, it's just to be viewed.

Is there any way to tackle this?

thanks!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why would a ControlSource be changed to a query? That really does not make sense.

Which table do you want to view data from - lookup table that is RowSource of combobox? Include fields in combobox RowSource. Use expression in textbox to reference combobox column index. Index begins with 0 so column 2 is index 1:

=[comboboxname].Column(1)

Set textbox TabStop No, Locked Yes.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Or you could use dlookups on the subform to show the other data.

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, DLookup() can do the same but I have known it to perform slowly on form when navigating records.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.