Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anil Bagga is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Improvement in multi field search

Quote Originally Posted by Anil Bagga View Post
    Wow.That's a very professional job and beyond my imagination. To take this pain is quite extraordinary. Hats off.

No words to express gratitude. It will take me quite a while, to understand this looking into my status as a novice. I will use this to improve my learning.
    Hi June7
    There is a slight improvement I needed but could not find a way. In the FG specs column if I type 14, I get all records where values are 14, a44 , 14105 etc. This is fine. However if the field is as below and I type 14" OR 14"x30" OR "sand bag", I get an error with 14" perhaps due to the character ". Any workaround?

I get nil results with "sand bag". Is it possible to resolve this? Cant we have a combo of 2 or 3 words if typed, searched as a string like "sand bag" or "Diamond Print"

14"x30" PP woven white bag, uncoated, printed "Diamond Mountain Tube Sand 60lb",1C/1C,with 2000 HRS UV, yarn hemmed top, SFSS bottom, 800 D, 12x10 anti-skid weave, 77 GSM, with anti-skid Diamond Print, 46.5 gms

Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil Bagga View Post
    Wow.That's a very professional job and beyond my imagination. To take this pain is quite extraordinary. Hats off.

No words to express gratitude. It will take me quite a while, to understand this looking into my status as a novice. I will use this to improve my learning.

Hi June7
    There is a slight improvement I needed but could not find a way. In the FG specs column if I type 14, I get all records where values are 14, a44 , 14105 etc. This is fine. However if the field is as below and I type 14" OR 14"x30" OR "sand bag", I get an error with 14" perhaps due to the character ". Any workaround?

I get nil results with "sand bag". Is it possible to resolve this? Cant we have a combo of 2 or 3 words if typed, searched as a string like "sand bag" or "Diamond Print"

14"x30" PP woven white bag, uncoated, printed "Diamond Mountain Tube Sand 60lb",1C/1C,with 2000 HRS UV, yarn hemmed top, SFSS bottom, 800 D, 12x10 anti-skid weave, 77 GSM, with anti-skid Diamond Print, 46.5 gms

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote mark and apostrophe are special characters in SQL. Forcing a query to treat them as normal text can be tricky. I found it so annoying when I was first developing a db, I forbade use of quote mark in text entries - apostrophes I managed to deal with.

Try this test: type in 34"" as the search criteria. Repeating a special character is called 'escaping', forces it to be treated as normal text in SQL.

Also test:
    20""x32""
    ""sand bag""

Should not need to type any quote marks to search for multi-word string. Works just fine with ROCKINGHAM COOPERATIVE. I don't have any records with "sand bag" - with or without quote marks.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thank you. It works perfectly.

At times I need to save the the search results in an excel format. Can some kind of command button be added in the main form along with the filter buttons to create this output.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Sure. Explore DoCmd.OutputTo and DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet methods.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.