WaywardSailor is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Setting Up NFL Scores Tracker

I want to create a database that where I can input the complete NFL Schedule. Then, as the games are played, the user would input the scores for each game. I would then like to be able to calculate whether each team had won or lost the game, and keep a running track of how many points each team had scored and allowed, as well as compute each team's won and lost records and standings for home/away, division, conference, and non-conference games. The problem I have is that I don't know how to create the relationships to make this work. For example, if Chicago plays Dallas, the points Chicago scores are also the points that Dallas allows, and vice versa. I have created an Excel spreadsheet that does all of this, but I am trying to learn Access by creating this database. So far, I have created a Teams table that lists each team, and identifies the Conference and Division they play in. I have also created a Games table, that lists the date, time, home team, and visiting team for each game. Now, how do I connect them?

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quick and dirty I put together in 12-15 minutes. Notice that you can set up the schedule and go back and fill in the scores as the games occur.
    This is an interesting Many-to-Many situation in that both of the Many sides are the same table.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NFL.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	41612

NFLTeams.zip

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So far, so good. But I am confused about the purpose of frmTeams. Is this used to enter the scores? If so, why do I need the Teams_PK and Team field? I don't understand how this solves my problem of getting the points scored and allowed for each team. Can you elaborate?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by davegri View Post
    Quick and dirty I put together in 12-15 minutes. Notice that you can set up the schedule and go back and fill in the scores as the games occur.
    This is an interesting Many-to-Many situation in that both of the Many sides are the same table.

Name:	NFL.png 
Views:	11 
Size:	17.6 KB 
ID:	41612

NFLTeams.zip
    So far, so good. But I am confused about the purpose of frmTeams. Is this used to enter the scores? If so, why do I need the Teams_PK and Team field? I don't understand how this solves my problem of getting the points scored and allowed for each team. Can you elaborate?

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    In the teams form enter only the home games to complete the schedule for the year.
    New query shows PointsFor and PointsAgainst

Name:	PFPA.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	41617

Database:
    NFLTeams-davegri-v02.zip

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.