zkrucz is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Linked DB's, size

I have a general question regarding linked databases. Since I have not used this feature before, I would like to know:

1. If each DB has assize limit of 2 GB, and if each approaches 2GB, will the linked DB’s (via linked corresponding tables) still function correctly, without crashing?
    2. Assuming that the answer is yes to the first question, is there a limit to how many such DB’s can be linked, and is each subsequent destination Table renamed in sequence (i.e. Table1 becomes Table11, Table12, Table 13, etc.)?

The reason for my question is due to the fact that since we import images into the Tables (I know that we should keep images in tables outside of Access) our DB tends to reach the 2 GB limit over time.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Each database can be a maximum of 2GB though in practice its better to keep each no more than 1GB or so.
    You can have as many linked databases as you like - the most I have in any production database is 7 (both Access & SQL Server).
    However bear in mind you cannot create relationships and set referential integrity between tables in different databases,

You definitely shouldn't store images in Access due to file bloating. Instead store the path to the image files.
    If you do that, its unlikely you will ever need to worry about file size.

Table names will be whatever you call them but you should use meaningful names e.g. tblClients not Table1.
    Access will only modify the names with e.g. a trailing 1 if you have duplicate table names
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

zkrucz is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    @ isladogs

Thank you for your advice. We are in the process of moving the images off the Access DB. The main reason for linking the databases is to keep access to historical data. There will be no need to create any relationships between the various historical data (Linked DB's)

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    when you get close to 2 gig you may get 'false' errors, like:
    no such function as: LEFT(

we all know Left,mid, right ARE functions, but Access will get 'dementia' and vb wont work.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    it is a matter for debate but I have a number of BE's where the file size is 1.7/1.8gb without issues. But that is pure data, not attachments

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.