jlaz579 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Question Manual updates to access db used in VB application created in Visual Studio

OK so I'm not new to programming or database design but I've run into a problem that's been driving me nuts. I have a VB application that was developed about 7 years ago that uses an access database. The application has the ability to create a table from multiple other tables via an SQL query. The app runs fine, no issues there. However from time-to-time I have found it necessary to add a row the the SQL created table manually which I've always been able to do using native access. Since updating to Office 2019 I'm not longer able to do this. If I open the database in native access I don't even see the entries recently added via the app. I'm currently running Windows 10 Professional 64 bit and MS office version is 2019 MSO (16.0.12624.20348) 64 bit. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If I open the database in native access I don't even see the entries recently added via the app.
    So are you saying the entries are there, but you can't see them? or your VB app has failed to add them? i.e it is creating a table but not populating it?

At the moment, my suspicion would be you have upgraded to 64bit access, but your VB app is running 32bit. Very much depends on the VB code, but if it is trying to use a 32bit access object, it may not be able to because there is not a 64bit equivalent - or it needs to be called differently.

Yes the entries are there when viewed within the app. Anything I add via the app is saved. I can come back a month later and everything the app displays is correct. My problem is that the SQL created table is created once at the beginning of a cycle and from time-to-time an entry to one of the tables used in the SQL was not entered in time. Hence I need to access the database via access, add the missing entry to the proper table and then manually create a row the SQL created table. To be honest I do recall having to download the AccessDatabaseEngine but do not recall if it runs with the 32 bit version or the x64 bit version or 64 bit version.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    just a thought, go into table design and go into properties - you may have set a filter on the table which is filtering everything out.

Mystery solved. Apparently Windows ten or Office 2019 does some things differently than Windows 7 or Office 2013. Although the application points to a specific directory for the access database, upon exit the updated db is not save in the same location. Instead it's being saved at c:\users\username\\appdata\local\VirtualStore\Prog ramFiles\rootapplicationfolder\applicationfolder. While I had searched my desktop for all accdb files this folder did not show up. The only reason I found it was due to the fact I installed the app on my laptop where no other accdb files existed, performed my updates within the application then searched This PC and it popped in the search window. Now I jest need to figure out how to disable this feature so the updated database is always saved in the application folder.

Eventores is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365
    You should be able to disable it in the registry, no?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.