Paul Ross is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Office 365

Image viewer that shows pictures the right way up?

I have created a database to document all my photos. It holds the path to each photo (on my hard drive) and info about them. The main form shows the picture in the standard image control and the info in text boxes. All is lovely except for one thing - most of the pictures are sideways or upside down.

Now I've done some research into this and the reason is that the image control ignores the rotation stored in the metadata (why MS have not implemented such basic functionality I don't know). There appear to be two solutions:
    1. Edit the pictures and save them so that they have a rotation of 0. I don't want to do this as I have thousands of photos. Also the process is not lossless so picture quality would suffer.
    2. Find an alternative image control.

I've had a look around for an alternative image control and there a loads of them, but most are way over the top for my simple requirement and cost a lot of money. Anyone know of a very simple, cheap picture viewing control that I can use.

Thanks,
    Paul

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks June7, I don't want to fix the pictures for the 2 reasons stated in my original post.

June7 is online now VIP
    Sorry, not aware of any 3rd party image controls.

Is picture quality so bad after fix to be unusable in Access?

Fixing thousands of images can be automated by code looping through folder.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    You can try a web control which can look at files as well. Don't know if it will fix rotation as I don't have any rotated pictures (at least not that I can identify). Also there is no zoom facility which may be a problem

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    the image control ignores the rotation stored in the metadata
    Well, I'm thinking not. I started a slide (photographic transparency) copy project and created a db for it. Long story short, all the images had to be flipped as they must be photographed backwards, some needed to be rotated. Some images had to be cropped and regardless of what program I used for that, I was going nuts trying to figure out why I'd see the image in my Access form upside down, backwards or rotated. I'd see them in the image app one way, Windows File Explorer might or might not agree, so I'd rotate or flip it again - same issue - upside down or whatever. I spent hours flipping and rotating, even though I had code to do it in a batch. I was beginning to tear out my hair. The answer to the issue was mind blowing.

File Explorer icon cache needs to be rebuilt. So after processing I would alter the view setting to a list view then back again to what wanted. Voila - all images the right way around, all good in the form. Hope that helps.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is online now VIP
    Might also find this discussion of interest https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=73766

Windows 10 Office 365
    Thanks Ajax, I tried the web control and it still shows sideways (but if I open the photo in Chrome browser it displays correctly).

Micron, my pictures display correctly in all photos apps & viewers, only Access shows them incorrectly. When you take a landscape photo with your camera you get a landscape picture the displays correctly in Access. When you rotate the camera to portrait the camera still takes a landscape photo but it sets a 90 degree rotation in the metadata (there are metadata editors & viewers that will show this). When you view the the picture you see a portrait picture because the viewer rotates it 90 degrees, unless the viewer is the Access image control which ignores the rotation. The result is that all my portrait photos are sideways in Access.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Paul - for the few seconds it will take to try (at least for a single directory), why not give Micron's suggestion a go?

Windows 10 Office 365
    Ajax, Micron, I've gone into file explore and viewed the photos in list view and every other view. Still the same result: portrait photos show correctly as protrait everywhere except in Access.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Sorry I misunderstood your post, combined with forgetting things. You are correct that the image control doesn't recognize the metadata. I'm pretty sure I researched the issue and tried all the controls available and it made no difference so I wrote code to flip the image and/or rotate it. It's a rather complex process and I would have to review the instructions in my db to be precise in explaining it.

The gist of it is, the code cannot do these things and save as the same file name but I was OK with that because I wanted the image file name to resemble the catalog number. So I'd do something like flip them all into a new folder with the code. Then manually move the ones that need to be rotated into a separate folder, then code would rotate those (can't recall if a different folder, or back to where I removed them from). That's when the File Explorer problem arose. It drove me nuts because I thought my code was not working properly. A lot of the folder decision handling stuff was managed by my form.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.