Opening databases and saving object changes

Hi All. I have apersistent problem with my MS Access Database. It is running within the Office365 environment under Windows 10. There are 2 problems and I believe they arelinked.

When I openmy database, it doesn't appear on screen. However, I know it has openedbecause the lock file, with extension .laccdb, is created in the samefolder as the database file. At this point, the only way I can open the file isto open the MS Access app and pick the file from the offered list of files.That's fine you might say, but when I work on an object, for example, formdesign, I cant save my changes because I get a message telling me I don't haveexclusive access to the object. I have looked in Task Manager so see if thereare 2 instances of Access open on my system and there does appear to be -1 instance of MS Access uder the 'Apps' list, and another instance under the'Background Processes' list. However, ending either of these tasks doesn'tsolve the problem. Moreover, when I ope my database file, it doesn't alwaysfail to appear as an open file, but I do always get the unable to save changeserror. I've tried all sorts of things - deleting the lock file (which can't bedone while the database is open), repair/compact database. None of these work.The problem can happen with any of my databases so it is not confined to onefile. No one else has access to my databases and they are not web-based. Mysuspicion is that it has something to do with the Windows Registry but that isa pure guess. I have 25 years experience with Access but this problem hasbaffled me! Can someone help please? Thanks for reading. Paul

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    do you have multiple screens? if so, it is probably open on a screen that is no longer there. Alternatively do you have code that runs when the app is opened which minimises or hides the app?

No I only use a single screen

I also don't have code that hides/minimizes the MS Access app. This problem seems to happen with most of my databases, but it doesn't happen all the time - i.e., it's intermittent. I believe that when the database is opened, it's somehow being opened twice, or some kind of lock is placed on it in the background to prevent me from making changes that I can save to my objects (forms, reports, etc.). It's a strange one!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    when you open for the first time - does an access icon appear in the task bar?

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding. I have resolved my problem - a friend emailed me and suggested I set my datatabse to open exclusively and this has cured the problem. Thanks for the interest

CJ_London is offline VIP
    not sure why that would do the trick but glad you found a solution

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.