Tuckejam is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

Checkbook ledger

Excel Genius - Access Idiot

Recently finished a 14 hour training on Access, so now I know enough to really be annoying. (thanks for your help)

I had been keeping a check ledger in excel and am now moving it to access and my basic question is should I have one "transactions" table

or two separate tables one for "Deposits" and another for "Payments/withdrawals".

Big picture information

this is for a non profit and I have 15 chapters that will make regular dues payments into this account. sometimes they are fined and thus will make different payments for fines.
    also sometimes a chapter will have problems and this account will make loans to those chapters and then they will pay that back over a period of time.

Hi

I would always go with the Transactions

Follow up question

should all transaction amounts be listed in the same field or should I have separate fields for deposits and withdrawals

Hi

You should have a field in the table for TransactionTypeID and then on your Data Input Form you would have a Combobox that gets the values from a table that lists all the Transaction Types.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    should all transaction amounts be listed in the same field or should I have separate fields for deposits and withdrawals
    it's up to you and depends on how your app is going to work. I tend to favour one field using positive and negative, but you still need a column for transaction type because there are more types than just deposits and withdrawals. for example opening balance, reversals, cash withdrawals, direct debits, supplier payments, interest, etc.

Bullschmidt is offline Freelance DB Developer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Thinking ahead to building a report that perhaps shows deposits and withdrawals in separate columns, I would suggest separate fields in the underlying table.

Attached is a template of a DB I use as my checkbook. You may want to alter to meet your needs, but it will give you an idea of what you may want to do.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Alright, as you can imagine my first try at creating a db was less than perfect. So I am going to start over.

But for the transactions tbl.

I am leaning towards more fields rather than less, so yes a separate field for Deposits and withdraws

BUT that then leads me to ask shouldn't I also have a separate field for Payee and Payer?

especially because in this circumstance 90% of all my deposits will be coming from the same 10 chapters, every month each chapter pays dues, and i will want to make sure each chapter name is entered correctly for each deposit.

NOW that leads to the question.

Should I have separate tables for deposits and withdraws? and then transactions would be a Query rather than a Table????

(and Yes I already know the real answer is to just download/buy quicken or other accounting software)

anyway thanks for you help and thoughts

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    BUT that then leads me to ask shouldn't I also have a separate field for Payee and Payer?
    since funds go to and from the same chapters - I would suggest don't separate - but perhaps in the 'payer/payee' table set a field to define what 'type' - payer/payee/both

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I find your approach interesting in that it follows what I said over here. Check out posts 5 and 6 if you're interested in the snotty answer I got to my question.
    https://www.access-programmers.co.uk.../#post-1684360
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I'd go with:
    tblTransactions: TransactID, TransactDate, TransactType, TransactAmount, ...;
    tblTransactionTypes: TransactType, TypeText, TypeDefSign, [TypeSignLock] .

TypeDefSign has values 1 or -1, in calculations tblTransactions.TransactAmount*tblTransactionTypes .TypeDefSign is used.

Optionally you can have field tblTransactionTypes.TypeSignLock with values 0 (negative values for tblTransactions.TransactAmount are not allowed) or 1 (negative values for tblTransactions.TransactAmount are allowed). Do you need this field or not depends on transaction types you have defined (e.g. do you have separate types for positive and negative inventory corrections, or a single inventory corrections type), is there a need to override default type signs for some set of types only, and on your preferences.

My take on this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture1.JPG  

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.