philr is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

printing labels without the label wizard

In the application I am creating I need to produce different types/sizes of labels using a dedicated label printer like Dymo, or Zebra.

1- I want to create a report/query for the records and fields for the label template and save the report for later use by multiple users and don't want to train everyone to use the label wizard and format each label new with each query/report. Is there a way to save the report with specified fields for continuous label printers?

2-
    I don't want the user to have to change the printer driver before each label run. Is there a way to specify the correct printer to use if printing labels in the report and return to the original default printer afterwards. (The computer would have a regular laser printer and the label printer attached. )

Thank you,

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    1 yes you can design the label manually.
    start with a blank report.

2. You can set the label to a dedicated printer in the report property.

philr is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you,
    I'm using Access 2016
    I'm going through the attributes for the reports.
    I see "Use Default Paper Size" as a binary yes/no. How would I set the label printer for this report created from blank report as an attribute?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I don't want the user to have to change the printer driver before each label run. Is there a way to specify the correct printer to use if printing labels in the report and return to the original default printer afterwards.
    use application.printer to chan ge the default and then change back again. Something like

Code:
    dim defPrinter as string

' get current default printer.
    defPrinter = Application.Printer.DeviceName
    ' switch to label printer
    Set Application.Printer = Application.Printers("name of label printer")
    'print the labels
    'reset default
    Set Application.Printer = Application.Printers(defPrinter)
    don't want to train everyone to use the label wizard and format each label new with each query/report
    are you saying you have multiple label sizes? When you use the label wizard it creates a report based on the label type selected. Specifically it determines how many columns, how many rows and the height of the detail section based on your label selection. The text created to be printed is just one large text box with the different fields concatenated together. - create a label and go into design view to see what I mean.

so if you don't want to train them to use the label wizard, either provide all reports for different label sizes/orientations etc and let them select from a list. Or you will need to store the parameters yourself so you can adjust a single report for columns, margins etc

philr is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I created 2 parameter queries with buttons that will take a SKU and created a report with the requisite fields concatenated and spaced already with size based on physical measurements. 1 large, 1 small. I'm using a Dymo printer that prints continuous fed labels one at a time. I have the printer driver already installed for the Dymo.

Dymo support only gave the advice that I use the Label Wizard but this forces the user each time to start from scratch.

Although I am a VB newby I will shortly try out your kindly provided code.

Many thanks. I was surprised Dymo could not offer this help.

Phil

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    the Label Wizard but this forces the user each time to start from scratch.
    I don't know why you (or they?) say that - once you have created the report, the user can use it. You don't start from scratch again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.