DittoBird is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Buying MS Office

Looking for guidance in buying MS Office Pro for myself. I've been retired since 2015 when I used A2007 and some A2010. At home I am using a legitimate copy of Office Pro 2003 on Win 7, but of course I have to update to Windows 10 and A2003 won't work.

The costs and perhaps some other aspects seem to have changed since Office 2010 Pro! Everything I am seeing when I search seems ridiculously inexpensive to what we paid at the university where I used to work - even with an academic licence. Why are things so cheap, is there a yearly licence to pay or what?

More Details, Probably Unnecessary, But I Tend to Babble, Sorry

At work I used Access to connect to an Oracle database behind a maintenance management application which I used to manage the work, schedules, estimates, projects, purchasing, warehousing, etc of the trades people and outside contractors of the facilities organization at our university. I used VBA code to create Oracle SQL based on user's choices in various applications - I did not like using linked tables as the fellows who designed the maintenance application used a lot of, well, not very smart decisions made in the past so that ODBC would translate their numeric fields into text. Wonderful bunch of people, though, enjoyed working with them. PT queries were used to run the user developed SQL to retrieve or add/edit data and execute PL/SQL routines. There was a lot more involved with respect to security and data access.

At home, I've used up to Access 2003 for various personal hobby applications and still use these applications today. It would be kind of nice to incorporate the ribbon which I really enjoyed using at work. But I'd really like to install Win 10 on my laptop, so I need to upgrade Access.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
    --
    Tim M
    Last edited by DittoBird; 04-01-2020 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Add name

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    They will try to steer you towards Office 365 (or whatever names they may have), which is subscription based. If you hunt for it on their website (or vendors I assume), you can still buy a perpetual version. They seem to hide it as they want to push everybody to the subscription model. The cost for the perpetual version will be more like what you're expecting.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    but of course I have to update to Windows 10 and A2003 won't work.
    access 2003 will work in win10, not sure why you think it wouldn't. However not a bad idea to upgrade anyway, particularly if you want the ribbon feature.

Current versions of Access will still open apps developed in access 2003 - later versions may not. This is subject to your existing 2003 apps not using features that have subsequently been deprecated in which case you will need to make some coding changes. A simple compile should highlight these.

The thing to watch when upgrading is the default 'bit' for office. The default is 64bit but you can still select 32bit. There is zero benefit to having 64bit office unless you are a superpower user of excel. With regards 64bit access, it will run a 32bit access 2003 file providing it is a .mdb (i.e. won't run .mde) and you modify API calls by using ptrSafe and changing pointers from long to longptr or longlong. Can provide links if required (it's not difficult, typically only takes a few minutes per app). Also if you are using ActiveX components you might find there is not a 64bit version or it is slightly different to the 32bit version. You know your own code, so you can decide.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.