kevdillon is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Load last viewed form as startup

Hi all,

I haven't used Access in a number of years and have forgotten a lot....

I'm wondering if you are able to set the startup form to be the last form previously displayed? To put it into context, I'm an educator creating a series of forms as part of an interactive game. I want the student to be able to save the form they are up to so that they can continue playing/ working from the form they are on the next time they open Access.

Any help would be appreciated. Is it best to go with a save button to run an update query eg. to update a table with the form name and then have a startup form with a load button that opens the form in the update table? (if that makes sense)

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    That's how I would approach it. Maybe you could have your loading form hidden too.

What's the application? Does the user manually have to save the form before quitting or is it automatic?

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I agree - you would have to save the form name somewhere - either in the table or modify the startupform property

Or rather than a startup form to interrogate the table you could use an autoexec macro instead to open the required form.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Is everyone using their own db or are you sharing? If sharing as single db or front end (usually frowned upon) you would need to record the form name per user.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

kevdillon is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Each person would have their own copy of the db. I have a table that is updated with a query to register what form the student is up to. I have decided to run the query when each form loads so there is no need to click a save button. I was thinking of having a main menu with a start button and a continue button. I need to code the 'continue' button to load the form based on the value in my table.
    ie. table name = LoadLevel
    field = Level
    Field Value = Level 1 etc

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    There's probably a dozen ways you could do this, but you've made it easier by not sharing the db.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.