Cottonshirt is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

default value for unbound control on form

good morning,

I have an unbound form. it has two controls, both of which are dates, [fromdate] and [todate]
    the dates are used as the criteria for a query. the query is displayed in datasheet view (not on the form).

I currently have [fromdate] set with a hard coded default date #04/01/1850# which displays as 4 Jan 1850

what I want to do is change the default to the date of the earliest record in the database.
    fortunately, this is already calculated in a query that is the source for a report, so the date I want is qry_eventcount2.start

if I enter this as the default value property of the control I get the #Name? error.

Googling this error I came across the following:

"typically, #Name? error occurs when the name of the control is a field in the recordsource, and controlsource begins with ="

since my form is unbound and neither edits nor enters data it has neither a recordsource nor a controlsource. so we have to pay attention to the word, "typically," at the beginning. which means, often, but not always.

so I look elsewhere for assistance and all the web pages I looked at describing the setting of a default value for a control use some form of the following?:

"The default value will appear in the control when you add a new record with the form."

they don't seem to consider that forms can be for things other than data entry. so I started to wonder whether it is even possible for an unbound control to have anything other than a hard coded default value. so I changed the default value property to =Date(), and that worked, it displayed today's date. but that comes from the computer rather than from the database.

so, my question is:

can a control on an unbound form have as its default value property data directly from the database, and if so, how do I do that?

many thanks,

Cottonshirt

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Should be possible. Try using DMin() function. See: https://www.techonthenet.com/access/...omain/dmin.php
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Cottonshirt is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    thank you,

that worked a charm.

I had to think about the criteria, but this worked

DMin("start","qry_eventcount2","IsNull([start])=0")

thank you very much indeed.

Cottonshirt

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.