ultrarunner2017 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Dark theme in Access 2010?

Hey guys;
    I would like to have a dark theme for Office 2010. I'm not referring to the three choices you have in Options, but a true dark theme, in which the background of every window will be dark (with light text), including code windows and the datasheet view.
    I have just installed a really nice dark theme in Firefox, and see what a big difference having a dark background with white (or light) text makes on my eyes.
    But so far, it appears that Office 2010 cannot do dark theme. Perhaps with Office 2016 and higher there is a dark theme, and from what I have read, Office 365 is much more customizable than any other.

So, do I need to upgrade to 365 or 2019 in order to get what I want, or will I be disappointed even with the latest version?

I am running Windows 10 Professional.

Thanks for your help
    FW

Bullschmidt is offline Freelance DB Developer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    This article says can easily do in Office 2013 and higher:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/360470/how-to-enable-dark-mode-in-microsoft-office/

I just tried doing what it said and it was no problem in Microsoft Access in Office 365:
    File | Account | Office Theme

And then Dark Gray and also Black produced the whitish text with a dark background.

And this controls the built-in Access stuff at the top and left of the screen and the default colors in forms and reports that you create, but of course you can manually change colors of individual controls and backrounds to be light text on dark background in those objects. And it looks like the tables and queries are still dark text on a lighter background.

Thanks. I guess I really 'should' upgrade to at least Office pro 2016, as it is still supported with security updates. I don't want to go for the recurring expense of 365, or the one-time purchase of 2019, but I can get 2016 for about $50 now. Still, considering that not much (if anything) has changed between 2010 and 2016 (or even 2019), I have to ask myself whether it's even worth $50 to get 2016. If the only thing I gain is the dark theme, then definitely not. But if there are some other nice features then perhaps.

Bullschmidt is offline Freelance DB Developer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Good points. And this article discusses some features of Access 2016...

Top 7 Cool Features Of Microsoft Access 2016 That Aren’t In Access 2003/2007/2010/2013
    http://www.accessrepairnrecovery.com...ccess-database

I read the info at the link you provided. Sure, there are some nice new features to 2016 compared to 2010, but would I use them?
    Next issue is how to purchase Office 2016 pro. I found several sellers on Amazon, and some on Ebay offering product key only, with a dl link for the software. But I am a bit suspicious of anyone offering a license key only.
    How would someone go about obtaining a license key without the installation DVD? Doesn't everything always come in a sealed package?
    One such item on Amazon states that the license key is in a sealed package, but without the installation DVD. They supposedly send you a link to download the software.
    When I checked a couple of the sellers on Amazon, it wasn't so clear as to what I would be getting, except that the package included a valid license so the product can be activated.
    On Ebay, I found some sellers offering license keys but not the original installation DVD; only a 'backup copy'. This sounds very suspicious to me.

Perhaps my best option - if I want to upgrade - is to get a sub to 365 Personal, which is $70/yr. Doing that, I know what I'm getting, that it is 100% legal, and I don't have to worry about asking Microsoft for support (in their forums), as my account would show that I purchased the product directly from them.

In reality, I do not 'need' an upgrade. I am currently working only on personal database apps. I am learning VBA with the Access 2010 Bible. I suppose that even if I upgraded to 365 (2019), I would still be able to get what I want from the 2010 Bible.

What it finally comes down to is doing something interesting. Sometimes an upgrade is worth the cost for the simple reason that it is new to me, and often inspires me to learn more about the system, and find new ways to use it.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullschmidt View Post
    Good points. And this article discusses some features of Access 2016...

Top 7 Cool Features Of Microsoft Access 2016 That Aren’t In Access 2003/2007/2010/2013
    http://www.accessrepairnrecovery.com...ccess-database
    I'm sorry but that article is utter nonsense
    The supposedly new features are all available in A2007 onwards ...with the possible exception of #1 (which I'll need to check).
    There are very few significant new features in A2016 or A365.
    However certain features available in A2010 were removed from later versions. For example, pivot tables/charts

If you purchase Office 365, all you get is a product key that allows you to download the software from the MS site.
    Purchasing from e.g. Amazon gives you exactly the same outcome as buying direct from MS.
    However, the Amazon price is lower than that if you buy direct from MS.
    Having said that, not all sellers are reputable.
    Last edited by isladogs; 03-31-2020 at 12:24 AM.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

I guess it's not so much features I am looking for, but a new look and feel. I'm not even concerned that Office 2010 will no longer get security updates after Aug this year.

Clearly its up to you but I wouldn't make updating a priority.
    Having got both Office 2010 & 365 (on the same workstation), I still use Access 2010 as I prefer its interface.
    However I use the newer version of Outlook, Word and Excel, all of which do have useful new features.
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

One thing that has bothered me about Office 2010 for a long time is that when I tried to install the 64 bit version (on my 64 bit computer with Windows 7 x64, then Windows 10 x64), the installation failed. This happened every time, on clean installs of the OS. So I just accepted the 32 bit version, which hasn't been an issue, but when I did the trial for Office 365 back in Jan, it did install the 64 bit version. I didn't notice any difference in performance though.
    For what I need Office for, 32 bit is fine, but it just ticks me off that the 64 bit version never worked.

That’s odd. I installed 64-bit Office 2010 on one workstation with no issues.
    I did so as many of my clients use 64-bit Office
    However there are no benefits from installing 64-bit as far as Access is concerned
    Performance is exactly the same. All you ‘gain’ are hassles converting APIs plus certain ActiveX controls will no longer work

Although the default is now 64-bit, you can still choose to install 32-bit

I don't know what the problem is. Perhaps my copy of the 64-bit is corrupt. It was a download, which I was entitled to after purchasing Office 2007 pro. I don't recall whether I ever ran a checksum on the file. But I'm happy with the 32-bit version, so won't waste any time trying to install the 64-bit.

I'm confused as to why you say you were entitled to the 64-bit version of Office 2010 after purchasing Office 2007 Pro. Office 2007 was only available as 32-bit.

I guess I used the wrong word. When I purchased Office 2007, it was not long before Office 2010 was released, and my license entitled me to Office 2010 pro.
    When I downloaded Office 2010, I received both the 32 and 64 bit versions. I never asked for the 64 bit. It was part of the download.

OK that makes sense. Having just logged on to my old desktop PC with A2010 for the first time since 11 March, are you aware there is a black theme in A2010?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	41452

Not quite as black as the new dark theme but may perhaps be OK for your needs?

Yes. I've set the theme to 'black'. It's good, but the code windows are still white. But I'm using the Windows 10 'Night Light' settings, so the white does dull a bit later in the day. Then, I probably shouldn't be coding that late in the day anyway...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.