ultrarunner2017 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Unable to resize controls on form created using the 'form'' button

Hey guys;

I'm working with forms in Access 2010.
    When I create a form by selecting a table or query in the nav bar, then click the 'Form' button in the Create tab, I get a form with all controls bound to fields, but am unable to resize fields individually. When I grab the edge of one control, only that control is selected (with orange borders), but when I drag any edge (with the double headed arrow cursor) they all resize. This form has all the controls arranged vertically and are aligned.
    All of the controls are the same size, regardless of the text (the control name by default) inside of them.
    There is a box (with dashed lines) around all of the controls. I am unable to select this box.

If I create the same form using the Form Wizard, I am able to resize any control individually. In addition, the controls are sized to to fit the text inside them.

I have checked to make sure grouping is turned off, and there is no grouping.

Any ideas?
    Thanks for your help
    FW

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Not sure what you mean by grouping - the method you are using sets a layout. To remove select all controls (ctrl-a) or all the controls in the dashed line box then in the ribbon, click remove layout

Thank you very much!
    It is obvious that you have had a lot more experience building Access databases than I have. Interestingly, none of the texts (Access 2010 Bible, The Missing Manual) make any mention of layout; only grouping.
    I guess if I spent more time studying the ribbon and trying out the different buttons/settings, I would have a better understanding of what is going on. I'm usually too quick to move onto something a bit more interesting.
    I guess before I move on, I should spend a few hours checking out the different buttons on the ribbon. Maybe I can find a good reference card to print out and keep by my side while I work it would help.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    terminology changes over time No reference card that I know of but the MS site is pretty comprehensive - just google something like 'access vba ' plus name of button/control/whatever. Use vba even if not looking at vba code otherwise you can end up with lots on non relevant links

Thanks Ajax. You have been a great help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.