Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    texaslonghorn is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

open accde file

Hi!

Is there a way to open an accde file?

And if that software uses a key for different options, can that be deactivated?

The software is so old that I cant buy a key anymore.

br

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Cannot modify accde design, so no, the key cannot be deactivated.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    if it is so old, it is probably 32bit - and according to your tag you have 64bit access - and 64bit access won't run a 32bit .accde. Reason I'm saying is if the problem is you cannot open the file it might be because of the access bitness, perhaps try deinstalling 64bit access and install 32bit access.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    if it is so old, it is probably 32bit - and according to your tag you have 64bit access - and 64bit access won't run a 32bit .accde. Reason I'm saying is if the problem is you cannot open the file it might be because of the access bitness, perhaps try deinstalling 64bit access and install 32bit access.

The 32bit program runs in an VM Ware Player.. ;-)

CJ_London is offline VIP
    not sure what your setup is now. There should be no problem with running access in a virtual environment - but if you have installed 64bit access in that environment it won't run a 32bit .accde.

A key to me means a product key that for example is required when you install access. The alternative is that you have a .accde developed by someone else and they are using a key to prevent unlicensed use of the product.

Suggest you clarify exactly what your setup is and what you mean by using a key for different options. Presumably you have a key when you originally got the 'program'?

The program is based on access but does not need to have it installed.
    It is a 32bit program and runs in my 32bit windows in my virtual machine.
    The program requires a key which I bought - But now I would need a new key to use it - but the program is not supported anymore, nor they can give me a new key.
    I just thought the key and the code for it is within the accde file.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    OK - Well I don't think there is anything else I can recommend other than buy a more current release if it exists. Only other thing is if you have a manual, perhaps you or someone else can develop it for you

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The program is based on access but does not need to have it installed.
    That makes it sound like it is a runtime file (now accdr but I don't recall what it was before) or something written in VB6 maybe. What I don't get is, if you bought a key why would you need another one? If it's so old, it likely isn't because it expired otherwise it would have expired long ago. Also seems harsh if you bought a single use license key that they would expire it. Care to name the application?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    That makes it sound like it is a runtime file (now accdr but I don't recall what it was before) or something written in VB6 maybe. What I don't get is, if you bought a key why would you need another one? If it's so old, it likely isn't because it expired otherwise it would have expired long ago. Also seems harsh if you bought a single use license key that they would expire it. Care to name the application?
    The name is LonghornMax CS
    It is for Cattle data management.
    I bought a license that could handle 25 head
    Now I have more than 25 and the program tells me to buy a standard license, where there is no limit.
    I talked to the vendor and they quit supporting the program couple years ago and switched to an online version.
    The problem is,the online version does not have the features I need and the vendor said, they dont even have the license generator program anymore.
    Now it is called cattlemax

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I see the predicament.
    http://www.longhornmax.com/
    https://www.alignable.com/forum/herd...with-cattlemax

It appears that cattlemax will import data from Longhorn and offers a trial period. But if it doesn't have features you need, then that doesn't seem a viable option.

As other have advised, I am not aware of any means to decipher the accde. The standard approach with mde/accde is to take your latest/final accdb, then back it up to a secure location. It is this copy(accdb) that could be opened and modified, and from which a modified accde could be created.

Does cattlemax have a user group you can communicate with?
    Does cattlemax have any plans to add functionality to the current software?

Good luck.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    what sort of features are missing that you need? perhaps they can be constructed 'offline' - particularly if the online version has means for importing and exporting data

HI

thanks to your replies.
    It made me clear it is not really possible to get the old version working as I need it.
    I asked them to change the reports to my needs - but do not expect much.
    Also I am not willing to pay 200+ Dollars a year and than create reports by hand offline. ;-)
    The current LonghornMax software works perfectly - only I am limited to 25 head in the software - and I have 24 now.. ;-)

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Given their past performance I'm not sure I'd want to buy into their new product. I asked about the name because about 20 years ago we were marketing Access based ISO databases and packed it in when the trend moved to on line. If a customer needed a key today I could and would still make one. I highly suspect they CAN, they just WON'T because they want to sell you a new subscription. If they will modify reports, you will likely pay for that as well.

If you have Access, you could replicate the functionality yourself and then you would own it and it would be customized. I don't think that would be unethical - we had the automobile but that didn't stop umpteen manufacturers from building automobiles when someone else already had, did it?

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Given their past performance I'm not sure I'd want to buy into their new product. I asked about the name because about 20 years ago we were marketing Access based ISO databases and packed it in when the trend moved to on line. If a customer needed a key today I could and would still make one. I highly suspect they CAN, they just WON'T because they want to sell you a new subscription. If they will modify reports, you will likely pay for that as well.

If you have Access, you could replicate the functionality yourself and then you would own it and it would be customized. I don't think that would be unethical - we had the automobile but that didn't stop umpteen manufacturers from building automobiles when someone else already had, did it?

Thanks Mircon for your inputs - you seem right - and if they wont change the layouts - I will not buy the new online option.

I also had the impression they wont give me the key so I buy the new one.

building this on my own for Access is not an option - I am not a programmer, I am only a user and I have to many projecs on your farm to concentrate on something like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.