Teatimedgg is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

How to add business days and subtract holidays to a date field

Hi Everyone,

I have a database that has a begin date field and also a SLA field (# of days), I want to create field that will give me the beginning date plus the SLA days to equal a date. Work days only and subtract holidays.

Example: Begin date 3/20/20 plus SLA 3 days New Date: 3/25/20 If there was a holiday then it would be 3/26/20.

Any help would be appreciated!!

thanks!

Tea

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    No idea what an sla day is an no idea if that field contains any values or if you're updating it with this solution. However, any time that holidays are involved you need a table to identify all the holidays along with their dates and populate it with records. When you run out of records, things usually stop working properly. This is because holiday dates are not universal, nor are they all consistent.

Maybe one or both of these functions will do the trick for you
    http://access.mvps.org/access/datetime/date0006.htm
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

The easiest way is to have a calendar table in your app, or in specific app on network resource available for all other apps. The structure of table for current case will be like tblCalendar: CalDate, DayType (where DayType has values 1-workday, 2-weekend, 3-holiday). There may be other fields too you'll need in other apps, like week number in format "YYYYYWW", weekday, month number in format "YYYYMM", number of working hours, etc. You fill this calendar table for some number of years in advance (you spend some time entering/calculating all fields, but with big enough years buffer it will be one-time work, or you have to do this only after some number of years again).

In case you have this calendar table in separate resources app, you link it to your current app (otherwise it simply is there ). And now your task is easy - you have to locate the date which is the number (= SLA) of CalDates with DayType = 1 later than begin date. The best way to do this is to write an UDF for this.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    No idea what an sla day
    suspect it means 'service level agreement'. So an sla of 3 days means the company will respond within 3 days of the incident/enquiry/whatever

Teatimedgg is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you everyone, i think i will take care of this in excel first and then import to access. :-)

Tea

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.