kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Modern UI Examples For Access

Stock Access forms don't look too stylish imo. When I try and google examples of access form design most look fairly dated or boring. All the gui design advice I find it really geared toward web apps.

I'm curious if you guys would be willing to share your favorite access designs or themes?

Do you guys have template designs that you use in most of your projects or do you just use the default and move on?

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Have a look at this, right here on this forum. Several hundred downloads so far:

https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=58464

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I use my own 'template form' as a starting point in almost all of my apps.
    If interested,you can see this design in most of the example apps at my website: http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/e...ses/4594429186
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @davegri, that is an interesting tool, thank you for sharing.

@isladogs, you've come up with a pleasing aesthetic. The consistency across all your apps makes everything look polished and professional... which I guess is a good thing since you're a professional

Keep 'em coming everyone!

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I take it you're primarily interested in aesthetics? You might find some inspiration from a Google search like ms access form themes (with or without restricting the results to images). I consider other things to be part of the design package, like following basic design used pretty much everywhere else when it comes to the placement and behaviour of things. That would include the location of the Close or Cancel button and having it first in the tab order - and maybe assigning keyboard shortcut keys to command buttons for those that like to use them.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I take it you're primarily interested in aesthetics? You might find some inspiration from a Google search like ms access form themes (with or without restricting the results to images). I consider other things to be part of the design package, like following basic design used pretty much everywhere else when it comes to the placement and behaviour of things. That would include the location of the Close or Cancel button and having it first in the tab order - and maybe assigning keyboard shortcut keys to command buttons for those that like to use them.
    Yes, this is particularly in regard to aesthetics.

I have tried that search specifically, that's what I was referring to in the op. Access app ui just seems to be generally lacking in eye candy. I do understand function is preferred over form, but was just curious what approach you pros take.

All tips are welcome! I wouldn't have thought that I should have the close button first in the tab order.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If one does have the close/cancel first in the tab order, it's so that the Enter button is all you need to do to change your mind and close the form when you've realized you opened the wrong one. That and the shortcut key assignment helps, such as being able to close the form with Alt + C; same for Alt+S for Save, and so on.
    M$ had a paper on standard design but I haven't seen it for a long time. It governed such things as where particular buttons go and other things you probably take for granted or don't use much - like forms used for wizards. I think that stuff + alignments, font sizes and so on are more important than eye candy, but a little sugar is nice if you have everything else done well.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.