nixonshaun is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

parameter query validation of field

I have a database where a client can fill-out a form entering their username and date and record their visit to our career center.

Demographic information is stored in a separate table, is has FirstName, LastName, DOB, Last4 of Social, email, Address, and other contact info.

There is a parameter query setup, it has the following fields from two tables.
    from table titled VisitDates it has UserName
    From table titled ClientInformation it has First Name, Last Name, Birthdate
    The criteria for LastName is [Enter Last Name] and the criteria for Birthdate is [Enter Date of Birth]
    A form has been generated based on this query.
    on opening the form, Access will prompt you to enter your Last Name and Date of Birth, if you information is found in the table the form will show Username, First, Last and DOB. I use this for people who have forgotten their username (last name + last 4 of social security number)

The problem is if i enter a last name and date of birth that is not found in the database, the system opens a form and rightfully displays no information. IS there a way to add some validation to the criteria so that if the last name and date of birth is not found in the table "ClientInformation" then it would msgbox an error message.

Not sure if this needs to be VB on the form fields or if this can be done in the query criteria.
    any help would be appreicated.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Needs to be in VBA in the form, you can use a dCount to do it:

Code:
    if dCount("*","[ClientInformation]","[Last Name]='" & Me.txtLastName & "' AND [Birthdate] = #" & Me.txtBirthDate & "#")>0 then
        'open your form here
    Else
        Msgbox "No entries found"......
    End If
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Thanks Vlad,
    I tried this. I created a form with two fields from existing tables: LastName and BirthDate and added a button
    I used this code on the button / onClick

Private Sub Command2_Click()
    If DCount("*", "[ClientInformation]", "[LastName]='" & Me.txtLastName & "' AND [BirthDate] = #" & Me.txtBirthDate & "#") > 0 Then
    DoCmd.OpenForm "UserNameLookup"
    Else
    MsgBox "Your Name is Not Found in the Database"
    End If
    End Sub

In the form i enter the last name and date of birth and click the button, it should open the second form with the UserName field that corresponds
    It comes up with a compile error on Me.txtLastName method or data method not found and goes back to the VB screen.
    when I exit this screen, there is a pop up box by the form stating i need to enter a UserName. UserName exists as a relationship between various tables.
    not sure if this impacts anything. or if i need to set this up a different way.

Gicu is offline VIP
    You need to replace txtLastName and txtBirthDate with the actual names of the two controls (text boxes) you have on your form - they might be LastName and Birthdate, you need the control name not the field (control source) name.
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Gicu View Post
    You need to replace txtLastName and txtBirthDate with the actual names of the two controls (text boxes) you have on your form - they might be LastName and Birthdate, you need the control name not the field (control source) name.
    Vlad, If i was using one form, made from the parameter query. Would i add this as on load event, so it would run the Dcount on form opening?
    I did try this by removing txt from the VB i posted above so it was just the control name. It does seem to work with Lastname and DOB's that are in the database, but if i enter a name that I know is not in the database, it gives me a runtime 2427 error you entered an expression that has no value.
    any thoughts on this.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Can I suggest you create a small popup form with the two text boxes and a command button where you put the VBA code. Then remove the parameters from the query and replace them with references to your popup form. Have a look at the attached sample.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Thank you Vlad, your attached tutorial file was excellent.
    I did as you said, pop up form with 2 unbound fields and a command button with the VB code, and then updated the query with the criteria as follows "Forms!NameOfMenuForm!NameOfUnboundField" and everything works great.
    Thanks for being patient and helping me figure this out.
    i guess we can mark this as solved.
    -shaun

Gicu is offline VIP
    Glad to hear, good luck with your project!

Cheers,
    Vlad
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.