Jonaripp is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Displaying images in a report of form - some images don't display, most do.

I am seeking help to display images on forms and reports. I am on Windows 10, using Access for Office 365 MSO 64-bit.

I am using the method of displaying images with a "short text" type data consisting of the full path and filename of an image file, coupled with an image control set to that record source. It works fine on most images, but on a few, it simply doesn't display the image.

I have compared all the attributes of different image files (that is, all attributes which can be shown in a column in the File Manager window), and I can't discern any different specs which would prevent these certain images from not displaying. They are all JPG or PNG, small files, saved for web use, 120X120 or smaller, nothing out of the ordinary, but there are a lot of them for my world ( probably 10,000 images spread across six different fields in 3,000 records).

That method of displaying images was recommended to me as the "only sensible " way to display images. I am a novice with Access, but did some database programming with Paradox years ago, but I admit I don't know what "sensible" is.

I see there is another way to display images: to set up "attachment" type fields and then attach images to that field of each record through a dialogue box routine. I can try this method, modify my table, add the attachment fields and run through the dialogue box process for perhaps three and a half fields in 3,000 records. That seems like it will require about 10,000 individual modifications to my data.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    My advice is to forget the attachment field - you will likely regret it if you don't.
    If an image isn't showing then AFAIK it can only be one of 3 things
    - it doesn't exist
    - the path to the file is incorrect (even if off by one letter)
    - the type isn't supported by Access.

I would have added a 4th - that you're navigating too fast and the image doesn't have time to load (either because of network issues or it's a really large one) but I have no idea of what you're doing with that form.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Bullschmidt is offline Freelance DB Developer
    Windows 10 Office 365
    That does seem like a good question. Also did you try with a more limited criteria to show only perhaps one or a few more of the images that don't otherwise load. I.e. would be interesting to know if they load when only trying to show 3 images instead of 10,000?

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    My advice is to forget the attachment field - you will likely regret it if you don't.
    If an image isn't showing then AFAIK it can only be one of 3 things
    - it doesn't exist
    - the type isn't supported by Access.

I would have added a 4th - that you're navigating too fast and the image doesn't have time to load (either because of network issues or it's a really large one) but I have no idea of what you're doing with that form.

Thank you for your response. Strange, though, your response didn't show until this morning despite the fact you responded 15 minutes after my post. Anyway, I moved on and added additional fields using the attachment field and I understand your message about regret. It is an ungainly process.

Regarding your three or four reasons, none really fit. The image files obviously exist because I can see them and open them with other programs. The path is the same for all the images I am using and I tried various cutting and pasting techniques to ensure my clumsy fingers weren't causing problems to ensure the path was the same. The types of files I am using are .jpg and .png, both types are working for other photos. I could get other photos to appear in the same record, but certain photos consistently would not. I must be some technical spec within the .jpg file which Access doesn't like. But I even saved a copy as a .png file and I recreated the .jpg file using the snipping tool, and it still wouldn't appear in my report. And, as I mentioned, I compared the .jpg files in File Manager, adding all the columns available to be seen in File Manager. I couldn't see any notable difference in file specs, but it must be there. All the image files are small.

Now I have a different problem with the "attached" images. If I modify an image, that modification doesn't update in my database unless I unattach and reattach it. "Refresh All" and re-running queries don't seem to work. Is that just one of those "regrets" or is there another way to update all the attached images? Again, thanks for your help.

Thank you for your response. I set up a new database with three records, a picture which displays, the next one I am having trouble with, and a third which displays fine. I got the same result. The same image is the problem. It must be some hidden spec in the image file. As I mentioned, I compared every spec which displays by adding columns in File Manager. Maybe I missed one. I could look again.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Now I have a different problem with the "attached" images. If I modify an image, that modification doesn't update in my database unless I unattach and reattach it. "Refresh All" and re-running queries don't seem to work. Is that just one of those "regrets"
    Yes, and bloat would be another one.

Since the same image(s) seem to be the problem, why not go back to the "sensible" linked method seeing as how you've now found that the stored image is difficult to replace? Regardless, one thing you can explore is whether or not the display property (clip, zoom & I forget the 3rd value) makes a difference. I think there is also a registry hack to enforce the preference of the interpreter used to deal with images, but I believe that's only for 'stored' images. If you do go back to linking, then you could try .bmp for the problem images and see if that helps. If it fixes the issue, you could consider having those as bmp files since disk space probably won't be a problem.

Yes, thanks again. There are several images not displaying with the 'linked' process, but perhaps it's not too many, so I can probably find a good work-around using .bmp or similar. At first my difficulties seemed systematic, not knowing enough about all this stuff, but a little deeper in, it seems now they're probably just exceptions. I will just have to audit it carefully.

kd2017 is offline Well, I tried at least.
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I would investigate the image files further. Try opening one of the problem images in ms paint or similar and resaving the image and see if it works. Then maybe try changing file types.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.