Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Sorry my bet... I didn't rename the file. Attached is version 3 with the objects for "Staffmembers".

Naturally, I am 100% confident that this has worked for you. Maybe it's some oddity as to how my properties are set. I tried toggling back and forth the Yes/No value for popup and modal. No matter what config I used, it didn't work for me.

Again, key is that I need to bring up the actual staff member form (F122_N1S_Staffmember) through using form F121_N1S_StaffmemberList. By themselves, they work fine... but that's not how users access the data.

Thank you for your continuous help. I am 100% confident you'll recognize what the underlying issue is.

Cheers,
    Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Answering on my phone as my tablet battery is flat.
    I can’t promise that your 100% confidence is justified but will try to investigate some time tomorrow
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

THOUSAND THANKS, Colin!!!

Colin:

Still trying to figure out the correct form properties. The are the ones I currently have for three forms:
    Code:
    Form                                        Change Property To                    Original Property Value
    ====                                       ==================              =======================
    F121_N1S_StaffmemberList          No, No                                     No, No 
    F122_N1S_Staffmember              No, No                                      Yes, No
    F105_N1S_LogoutStatus             Yes, No                                     Yes, Yes
    Now, having changed the properties as shown above DOES make form F105_N1S_LogoutStatus pop up in front of F122_N1S_Staffmember (in version 3 -- attached in most recent post).

HOWEVER, at this time, the "Ok" and "Quit" buttons cannot be clicked. That is, a user first had to realize the the form F122_N1S_Staffmember (it is visible while it sits behind F105_N1S_LogoutStatus) needs to be closed first.

This is a major assumption and, arguably, the majority of users may not realize that. So, ultimately, their only option is to way out the time. Nevertheless, this is confusing (i.e., the warning tells them they have up to 5 min to finish the work) and potentially frustrating for the user.

I tried the variations of the acDialog such as:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "F105_N1S_LogoutStatus", , , , , acDialog
    DoCmd.OpenForm "F105_N1S_LogoutStatus", WindowMode:=acDialog

In this case, F105_N1S_LogoutStatus pops up but disappears automatically with ~ 1 second. That's not enough time to read the warning message.

So, no matter what I've tried, the shutdown process itself works but the status message is either not visible on top of **all** forms or it shuts down too quickly (acDialog... I don't even know if the Ok/Quit command buttons would work w/ the acDialog).

Sorry to keep on bothering you, Colin... however, you're the #1 SME on this process.

Thank you,
    Tom

Haven't had any time to look at this yet.
    Got side-tracked with decorating my office and also a tricky 64-bit conversion. May not have any time today.
    Can I suggest you look at my Attention Seeking database http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/a...eek/4594398116 for an additional method of alerting users where the form is hidden below another app.Two possible methods come to mind: Remove Background and Balloon Tooltip Alert
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Colin - thank you... happy decorating and good luck w/ the 64-bit conversion.

I just downloaded your sample DB and I'll check it out. I'm unfamiliar w/ the other two methods.

For now, I'll launch the shutdown and alert users to having to close the staff member form when the warning pops up. In the long run, I'd like to have a more permanent solution. Thus, if you have time to look at it in the coming days, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Again, in the meanwhile, I will check your AttentionSeeking example.

Cheers,
    Tom

Hi
    Following on from my answer in your other thread, I believe I've solved the zOrder issue using the Remove Background feature from my Attention Seeking database.

I've added various modules associated with that feature and modified the code in the LogoutStatus form
    New event Form_Current hides the nav pane, taskbar & all desktop icons then minimizes any open windows including Access leaving a blank background (blue on my workstation).
    The LogoutStatus form is still displayed as it is a popup.

NOTE: On subsequent clicks the background isn't removed - I haven't yet investigated why ...but the functionality still works...

I also added code to cmdOK_Click that restores all open windows including Access, nav pane, taskbar, desktop icons

I've tested this by placing one or all of Outlook, Word and a browser window in front of the Access window after clicking the OK button to hide the LogoutStatus form.
    The LogoutStatus form then reappeared on top of all other open windows in each of my tests

NOTE: not tested in 64-bit but as I know the Attention Seek app works in 64-bit, there shouldn't be an issue

Hope this solves your problem.
    BTW - I had to look up what SME meant ... thanks for the compliment .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.