skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

See/identify who's logged into "backend"

Experts:

I have a general question about the process which allows me to identify the computer name(s) of user(s) logged into my database (backend on server).

Quick background:
    - I have a split database on my organization's network.
    - I previously tried a module that appeared to work fine on my home computer but ultimately didn't seem to work on the network.
    - Additional research allowed me to come across a single form example db (see attached zipped db).
    - Again, this example works fine at home (i.e., it display my computer name); I guess I will find out tomorrow (when at work) if it outputs names of multiple users while on the network.

My questions:
    - This form includes a toggle command button "Disallow New Users"/"Allow New Users". How does the function work to disallow/allow new users?
    - Also, I'm using a process "Autoloader" which copies the frontend to the client machine's once I updated the version name on the server's frontend. That said, even as an administrator, I would bring up the "frmViewUsers" on my client's frontend (vs. server frontend). What's the impact on the form's Disallow/Allow toggle button? Will it still work?

Thank you,
    EEH
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What dbms is backend?

All I see function doing is changing caption on button and setting a connection property. Is it disconnecting/connecting to backend? Why do you have this code? What do you want to happen?

If you want to know who is accessing backend, then possibly connection needs to be for the backend file, not CurrentProject which is the frontend. Try this in immediate window and see what path is returned:

?CurrentProject.Connection.Properties(7)

I have code that when user opens frontend, it updates a record in Users table. When they close frontend, again updates record in Users record.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    June -- thank you... I ultimately came across another which follows your recommendation. That is, DB entry and DB exit are appended to a table. It works like a charm.

Thank you for the feedback!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.