braddaz is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Unhappy "Enforce Referential Integrity" doesn't recognise correct relationships

Hi all,

I'm a student doing a project for coursework, but I'm also using this project for the company I work for. I am using MS Access to make a database to store employee details, the shifts, and the day they work. The outline for the database looks like this:

Lifeguard(lgID, fname, sname)
    Shifts(ShiftID, startTime, endTime, shiftFrequency, weekStart)
    DayWorked(lgID, ShiftID, Day)

I don't really know how to structure the DayWorked table to get the desired outcome. My problem is, Lifeguard should have a many-to-one relationship with DayWorked. Same with Shifts. However, when I click 'enforce referential integrity' on Access, it claims that it is one-to-many which is the opposite of what I need. I have tried messing about with the primary keys of DayWorked but nothing has solved my problem. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what's wrong with it.

An example of the relationship would be "a lifeguard cannot work multiple shifts on the same day, but can work multiple days and multiple shifts". Same concept with Shifts.

I'm really not sure what to do from here, I've read so many other posts but still don't understand. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thank you!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    DayWorked is a junction table to relate Lifeguards with Shifts - this is a many-to-many relationship. Lifeguards and Shifts are not directly connected. Lifeguard and Shifts each link to DayWorked in Relationships builder.

Set lgID and shiftID and Day as compound index in DayWorked to prevent duplicate combinations.

Is Day a date/time field? Day is a reserved word and should not use reserved words as names for anything.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.