Multi user access to accdb file

Evening All

Apologies for the noobie question here, but I would like to know if an Access database (Office 365) can be accessed by multiple users simultaenously? I've written some code in VBA (AutoCAD) that opens an accdb file, records some data from a user (drawing issue information) then closes. Previously, this accdb file was stored in a shared dropbox folder, and although it works just fine for each user, becuase of the nature of syncing the file on each PC, occassionally we get 'conflicted copies' of the accdb file when multiple users access the file at the same time and it resyncs back to the central location then down to all other PC's.

I did code a lame error trap to check for the lock file (.laccdb) and stops the database being opened by somebody else when it's present, but again, because of the nature of Dropbox syncing up and down, this trap is not foolproof.

So now I'm working on keeping the database in a central cloud based location, so only one live copy in existance and no syncing. So, back to the beginning, can multiple user access and record data in the database at the same time?????

Thanks very much in advance for and and all input.

Graham

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Sure, lots of info here and in the related links:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-01.html

To my knowledge having the file in a dropbox type location is problematic, as you've seen. I don't have any experience with "a central cloud based location" so can't comment on that.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Thanks very much! I'll read that properly with fresh eyes in the morning.

Hoping that a central cloud location will work in exactly the same way as a standard network server, although that may noe be the case because of login / access rights. Time will tell!

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Just to confirm, Access works well on a wired local network. However it is problematic on any other network such as Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive or if using Wi-Fi.
    Any interruption to network connection can lead to data corruption.

Using SQL Server gives greater resilience to network interruptions.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Thanks for the input. I don't know much about SQL other than the code I had to learn in order to let VBA push and pull data in and out of the Access database. Probably a stupid question, but do you know where I can find more noobie info on SQL? I'm only using Access because I have it with my 365 subscription.

Cheers

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.