Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    James_liv is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Hi James
    I've only just picked up on this thread and see you are also UK based.
    For info I have several UK postcode applications both free and commercial which may be of help (see below)

Many UK addresses don't have a house number or have text equivalents e.g 24A or Flat 14.
    How would you manage situations like that?

I see you are already receiving expert help from several forum members so I'll largely refrain from adding further code suggestions at this point.
    However, I've looked at both your database from post #24 and Bob's from post #28.

Just wondering whether you could use a modified version of Bob's approach but using a combo for postcode and adding a house name field as well as house number (or combining both using a text field for name or number).

If you use a combo for postcode, you can add NotInList event code to look up addresses for the entered postcode.
    For this you may be able to use/adapt my Postcode Address Lookup app http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/u...kup/4594767232
    The app is free if you want to try it (with source code available at a low cost).
    It is a cut down version of my commercial app available at http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/u...der/4594138311
    Hi,

I am not asking for the database to look-up the real world location, just the address and postcode details which have been previously entered into the database. Theoretically the user could enter nonsense in those fields and providing those details are entered again it would automatically re-populate the fields.

The operators have been using my Approach database for 20+ years and have just become used to the naming convention of flats eg for want of a better description.
    If the address is 'Flat 24, 18 Jones Road' then they enter it is 'F24, 18' in the door number field and 'Jones Road' in the address field. Combined with the postcode it makes the address unique.

Im going to try and record myself typing them into my Approach database so help give an understanding as this to me seems incredibly basic and my explanation much be lacking.

Regards

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    James

I'm not at Computer today but would be happy to have another look at this tomorrow. The combo boxes can certainly be changed to textboxes, although I have to say that I think the combos are much faster to use because they don't have to be dropped down and will fill in matching records as you type, saving the user from having to type the complete post code.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    James

I'm not at Computer today but would be happy to have another look at this tomorrow. The combo boxes can certainly be changed to textboxes, although I have to say that I think the combos are much faster to use because they don't have to be dropped down and will fill in matching records as you type, saving the user from having to type the complete post code.
    Thanks Bob,

Im just moving on with other parts of me re-write today.

Ive made a short video of one of the users typing in the postcode and door number rather than me trying to explain what I am trying to achieve.

https://vimeo.com/394903737

As you can see, I just need it to auto populate the form with the address details.

Thanks

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Your explanation was fine. The video confirms what I thought.
    I agree with Bob that a combo would be better for postcode.
    In fact you could have cascading combos with a combo for house number/name so that once the postcode was entered, the house name/number only showed the relevant values you have for that postcode.

The purpose of a NotInList event is to allow you to check the info supplied is a valid address. My code is quick and easy to use and is based on the free 192.com online address finder.
    Worth trying so you can see whether it would help your users.

Still not clear how you deal with house names e.g. Rose Villa, Hill Street...

Anyway, I'll leave you in the capable hands of Bob and others.
    Send me a PM or email if you want to make use of what I've suggested. Good luck
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm not in front of a computer today, but I believe that the number combo box is already cascading, in the example that l offered.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Bob,
    I think your Test03 has the functionality that is required and is how many would do with MS Access. I think James is focused on a specific technique in Lotus Approach and feels Access should have similar method/technique. As we have all learned, there are several ways of doing just about anything with the software.
    If every database management software did everything in the very same manner, there wouldn't be such a competitive commercial market. But the marketplace is thriving.
    There are Find as You Type techniques and a number of Events that could play heavily into the cosmetics of the GUI. My bigger concern is underlying structure and stability.
    Dave and Colin have also offered good advice, so we'll watch as and how things evolve.
    James good luck with your project.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Orange

Well indeed!
    I have to say that I agree with everything you've said here. I only threw in my "two pennyworth" in an attempt to help James see a way forward with Access as his current software system is clearly not giving satisfaction 😉

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes Bob, I feel the same. I don't think Lotus Approach has had any updates since ~2008. Seems James likes what he has, but it's too slow. I don't know that software -- I did make a few test databases with it around ~1998 -2000 when our department was gung ho on Lotus Notes and a Lotus suite of tools. I don't know if the software works on WIN 10, or as James has found, it's time to convert regardless.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Well you clearly know far more about Lotus Approach than I do. The only other db I've used briefly in the nineties was a flat file application which I think was called Ability Plus. After that I moved on to Access 2, Access 97, 2000 etc.
    Anyway, I shall continue with James for a while and see if I can produce something that he is comfortable with.
    I've always found that most things are possible (with a little bit of help from the kind people here &#128521

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Fitz View Post
    Well you clearly know far more about Lotus Approach than I do. The only other db I've used briefly in the nineties was a flat file application which I think was called Ability Plus. After that I moved on to Access 2, Access 97, 2000 etc.
    Anyway, I shall continue with James for a while and see if I can produce something that he is comfortable with.
    I've always found that most things are possible (with a little bit of help from the kind people here &#128521
    Thanks Bob,

On post no 21 Davegri posted an example with a table within a form - I have tried to recreate this and it works fine but I cant actually add any records to the table from within the form.

See my database im working on attached. If you see form frmSalesSheet you can see that the invoice number draws its information from tblSalesinv and works fine however I am unable to enter additional information related to that invoice number from within the SalesSheet form.

Why is this? Its causing me some headaches to say the least but as you can see - overall things are moving on slowly with my rewrite but they are coming together.

Kind Regards
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows 10 Access 2016
    James

I believe that l understand exactly how you want the form to work now and even better, I'm sure I can make it work that way but not until tomorrow when I can get in front of a computer 😉

Hi James

Your problem is Table Design.

You are currently trying to Link CustomerID from tblCustomerInfo to JOBNo in tblSalesSheet & tblRepairBooking.

This is completely wrong.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Agree Mike. There seems to be a lack of familiarity with Normalization and Codd's rules. This is not yet an Access issue in my view. It is database concepts and structure. But it's early in the proposed conversion and James is getting advice from forum members.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mike60smart View Post
    Hi James

Your problem is Table Design.

You are currently trying to Link CustomerID from tblCustomerInfo to JOBNo in tblSalesSheet & tblRepairBooking.

This is completely wrong.
    Thanks for the advice.
    How should it be? The customer number and job numbers are the only 100% unique fields in each table.

I actually removed the PK to see if it made a difference and tried different joins but nothing seemed to make it so I could type into the form.

Where should the join be in order for me to be able to type into the sub ta le in the sales form?

Thank you

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Bob,
    I think your Test03 has the functionality that is required and is how many would do with MS Access. I think James is focused on a specific technique in Lotus Approach and feels Access should have similar method/technique. As we have all learned, there are several ways of doing just about anything with the software.
    If every database management software did everything in the very same manner, there wouldn't be such a competitive commercial market. But the marketplace is thriving.
    There are Find as You Type techniques and a number of Events that could play heavily into the cosmetics of the GUI. My bigger concern is underlying structure and stability.
    Dave and Colin have also offered good advice, so we'll watch as and how things evolve.
    James good luck with your project.
    In many ways you're correct, it's very difficult to change my way of thinking. In part because it was the default way which Lotus handled things and so it was an entirely natural fit.

Also because the users find that stopping typing to use a mouse and click boxes delays the data entry and so have asked me to try to keep with the current system or something similar.

Please don't let that be mistaken for unappreciation to everyone who has commented and helped as that's not the case.
    I hope as I learn and being to understand Access more I will be able to contribute more instead of only taking from this site - I do love a good forum!

Many thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.