Texie is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Sort mail merge

Hi Everyone!

I am new here, as well as new to Access. I have read through several threads, and found y'all to be quite helpful!

I was out of the workforce since before Access was developed, and when I got back in, I ended up at a job that is still using Microsoft Works!!

I have converted that database into Access, but I don't know the names of the functions I need to learn how to do (in a hurry), so could someone please tell me where to post these questions?:

In Works, we could do a mail merge for specific fields (like date, and salesman, to print a letter to include what they purchased). I have built the WORD version of the letter we need to use, and input the correct fields. It merges perfectly, but for the entire database!! I just need the two part sort, but don't know how to do it.

I also have a field that I need to use 3 different calculations (for instance discounts based on what kind of customer they are). I wrote what I needed in Modules, with the correct syntax, but I'm not sure that is where they belong, or if so, how to put those equations into place to calculate for the field I want.

Thank you in advance,
    Texie

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    First, are you sure you need to do Word merge and an Access report will not serve?

Are you using a filtered query as source for Word merge?

A query can call a user defined function written in VBA or calculations can be done directly in query. This is creating a field with an expression.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Texie is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the quick reply. Did I mention that I haven't been in the workforce for nearly 30 years? Life happened....

We had been using mail merge in Works because our letterhead is actually in the works document (and is in the word mail merge document I created for this). I'm not sure how hard it would be to put letterhead graphics etc. into a report, but will try that tomorrow, as we will have other reports I will need to create And I wasn't sure what the query function was, so now that I know that may also work, I will try that tomorrow as well. The last sentence lost me entirely, I am sorry to say.

Every time I look up videos, I end up wasting all this time watching things I either already know, or will never need to know, and haven't gotten the answers I need. I am so glad I found this forum!

Thanks again! Tomorrow will be another learning experience day

June7 is online now VIP
    Fairly simple to include an image in Access form or report.

Relating to my last statement, review https://www.teachucomp.com/create-a-...-instructions/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Texie is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I'm back. First, when I start to create a report, I get this pop-up window:

You do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later.

I'm the only one to ever touch this database so I don't know why I am getting this message.....

Also, I have tried to copy and paste the text (and letterhead) in "create a blank Report" but the Paste option isn't available.

I'm not seeing how I am supposed to tell it to JUST get the people I want, so I only get letters for those specific people.

I have looked up so many questions about Access but not finding articles that answer what I actually need to do.

Suggestions?

Thanks again, in advance,
    Laura

June7 is online now VIP
    I presume this is not a split design db.
    Close Access then make sure there is no .laccdb file for the db in the same folder as db. If there is, delete it. The .laccdb file is a temporary file and should disappear every time db is closed.

Text would have to be in a textbox or label control, not just pasted into report framework.

Get JUST the people you want by applying filter criteria to dataset. This can be done with a dynamic parameterized query or with code that builds criteria and applies to report when opening.

I suggest you spend a solid week studying an introductory tutorial book to first become familiar with Access basics. Or try this on-line tutorial series
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-d254561f8bce. There are many others but I prefer a book for introductory teaching.
    Last edited by June7; 02-25-2020 at 05:56 PM.

Texie is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you for your help! I am old school when it comes to learning and looking up things, and would much rather learn from a book! Do you have a specific recommendation? The hardest part is not knowing the new terms used for what I want to do (a glossary would help). Ideally, I would love an online type of a book where I can search text.

That's been the biggest problem trying to learn this. I have already spent so many hours watching video tutorials about Access, and wasn't able to get the information I needed for what we needed to get done (and in a timely manner).
    The great news is that I did complete the transition from Works to Access including combining two not quite compatible databases. While I will still have to learn how to crank out our letters and end of month reports, we can at least access the data and input more. I also got it uploaded to our sharepoint so the people who need access can get to it easily.

At any rate, this is a huge step up from the punch cards I started out with in the 70's

Again, thank you for your help!

June7 is online now VIP
    Sorry, don't have a specific book. I may have used something called "Access for Beginners" or similar title. Most any introductory book will cover what you need to get started. Go to local used book store. Search B&N for used books. Buy several cheap. A book written for Access 2010 will cover basics that carry over to 2016.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.