USMCPelto is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Inventory Across Multiple Locations or Warehouses

Afternoon,

While laying out the groundwork, the basic function of this database is to track 21 items. All items will be received in the main warehouse or shop and then sent out in smaller batches to 8-10 different jobsites which will all maintain a smaller count/inventory on hand. For table design, would it more normalized to list each location on a locations table, or would another column on the parts tables be preferred for storing quantity?

Example, for PartA, we may have 30 at the main warehouse, but would then need to transfer 5 units of PartA to Location2. We would still have 30 PartA's, but there should show 25 at the main warehouse and 5 at Location2. I'm mostly in the planning stages, but am wanting to set up the foundation correctly for future growth.

The ultimate goal is to track each location's usage on a weekly basis of these 21 items. All items purchased will initially go to the main Warehouse, that we'll call Location1. From there, they will then be transferred in smaller batches to replenish stock as used across the 8-10 jobsites.

Most templates and examples deal with customers, but this is less of a sale and is a transfer.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I've built something similar for a client - but for about 10,000 products and 100 locations. Another factor to consider is goods in transit - i.e. goods have left one warehouse but not yet arrived at it's destination. This will matter for stock take, stock valuation and stock adjustments.

You also need to consider how you handle products received into Location1 and how products are sold/used in the other locations

There are two ways to handle it - which is best for you will depend on your processes and anything else you might need by way of reporting

You'll have a table for products and a table for locations. You then need a joining table which might look like this

tblMovements
    MovementPK
    ProductFK
    LocationFK
    MovementType (i.e. dispatch or receipt)
    Quantity
    MovementDate

for each movement you need two records, one for the despatch and one for the receipt

alternatively you might have

tblMovements
    MovementPK
    ProductFK
    DespatchLocationFK
    ReceiptLocationFK
    Quantity
    MovementDate

this only requires one record per movement

In both cases, quantity can be determined by summing the amount by product

These are not the only basis's but other ways would work in much the same way

You need to ask yourself some 'what if' questions - may or may not be relevant to your situation

what if 5 items are dispatched, but only 4 received - or 6? - or none?
    what if some items are received, but have not been dispatched? perhaps because it was dispatched as 1 product, but received as another because someone mistyped a code
    what if location2 needs a product in a hurry and gets one from location3 (perhaps location1 has not stock at the time)
    you mention jobsites, which implies to me they are not permanent - so what if location2 closes and products are returned to location1

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post

You also need to consider how you handle products received into Location1 and how products are sold/used in the other locations

You need to ask yourself some 'what if' questions - may or may not be relevant to your situation

what if some items are received, but have not been dispatched? perhaps because it was dispatched as 1 product, but received as another because someone mistyped a code
    what if location2 needs a product in a hurry and gets one from location3 (perhaps location1 has not stock at the time)
    you mention jobsites, which implies to me they are not permanent - so what if location2 closes and products are returned to location1
    --------------------------------

Products will never be "sold" from Location1, but will be used/consumed on all other locations. Fortunately, I'll be going over daily tickets/work orders and would be entering the amount used on a once per week, per jobsite order/use report. These are parts that get used up/washed out as the job goes on and will be added up and billed weekly to the customer who's jobsite they were used on.

The mismatched quantities shouldn't be an issue, due to the small scale, and should result in a person on the jobsite updating their daily ticket to represent what was used if there is a discrepancy. An inaccuracy beyond that implies theft, which can also be accounted for via adjustment.

The movement of assets will be done in the main office, Location1. Parts can be moved around from location to location, but would either be relayed back to the main office or would be discovered when the weekly parts run notices a discrepancy. We'll be delivering parts once per week, while picking up the used up ones and conducting a quick inventory/count while onsite.

These are indeed temporary locations. They tend to last about 5-8 months at a time and any unused parts at the end will indeed come back into stock at Location1, the main office.

For the time being, the database will not be used on the jobsites but instead will be ran from a computer at the main office.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    As pertinent, here's what it's currently shaping up to be:

tblTransactions
    TransactionID(PK)
    Product(FK)
    DispatchLocation(FK)
    ReceivedLocation(FK)
    Quantity
    Date

To expand on that design, if I'm sending 5 different items, then there will be 5 lines added to the Transactions table, correct? If I then want to know how many of Product1 are on a jobsite, I'd run a query to add up all transactions positive and negative and return a resulting sum?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If I then want to know how many of Product1 are on a jobsite, I'd run a query to add up all transactions positive and negative and return a resulting sum?
    with a criteria for the receiptlocation being the jobsite, yes

note date is a reserved word, not recommended to use it as a field name - see this link https://support.office.com/en-gb/art...9-f855bdd9c5a2

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.