Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    nigh is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    mdb's ran from the original access v1 back in 1992 until 2003. All earlier mdb's could be opened by all later versions of access until access 2013 at which point access versions prior to and include access 2000 could no longer be opened.

In your original post you said the database was created in 2013 - but the default then was .accdb. You could still create a .mdb but that would be unusual. Without knowing the exact message you are getting - perhaps you can provide it - I suspect that your .mdb was created in access 2000 or earlier. If that is the case, the only option is to get an earlier version of access - say 2007 or 2010 to open the file and upgrade to a later version.

What goes against this theory is that you say you recently upgraded to Office 365 with the implication you were using access 2013 - and if it was working under that, then it is not possible you would have a pre access 2000 mdb.

So there is something wrong with the picture or it is incomplete. Can you double check the info you have provided and also whether or not you are using workgroups for data security - it creates a .mdw file which is associated with the database.
    It is likely that the database was created before 2013 but I could open it using Access 2013. I do recall that whenever I opened it, I got a message asking if I wanted to convert it. I always said no because I was advised that it was likely to lose all of the links, possibly it was bad advice. I do not have any files with a .mdw extension. The message I get when I try to open the database with Access for Office 365 is "Cannot open a database created with a previous version of your application".

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    do you still have 2013 available? if so, try opening it from there - it doesn't matter about links etc at the point, just trying to open it.

Suggest provide a screenshot of your 'earlier version' message. Perhaps it is not a standard message but one generated by code.

another thought - you say the tables are linked - so can you open the backend OK? I presume that is also .mdb and not sql server or similar

And have you tried opening another copy of the front end on a different machine?

nigh is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    The links I refer to are within the database, not separate databases, it's all one file. I have not tried using another PC, our IT person recently decided to upgrade all of the company PCs to Win10 & Office 365. I also run Win10 & Office 365 at home so I can't try it there. I have another PC at home with Linux & not much else, could I use that somehow? I'll check here to see if we still have older versions of Access. The error message I get when trying to open the file is Click image for larger version. 

Name:	access.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	41043

that's the genuine message. googling the message will find you this page

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...evious-version

What help/advice is provided if you click on the help button?

Not exactly the same message, but this link may be of help

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Des...ous/td-p/67535 (click on the solution button)

Don't understand what 'The links I refer to are within the database, not separate databases, it's all one file' means.

Unlikely to help, but have you tried going to a colleagues machine and opening there?

Final thought, perhaps the db is corrupted but giving that message, have you tried opening a backup?

Only other suggestion is to zip and upload your db to here to see if anyone else can open it

nigh is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Maybe I'm not using the right term for the links. I've not tried it on another machine, I'll see if we have an old Access version first. If not, I'll upload it here.

Maybe I'm not using the right term for the links.
    standard practice per MS is for an access app used in production or testing (i.e. not in the process of being developed) is for the app to be split into back end (BE) and front end (FE). This is vital if the app is to be used by more than one person. Typically the BE, which contains only tables will be located on a server and the FE contains everything else (forms, reports, queries, code, macros) and is located on the users machine, it should not be on a server where multiple users can open the same file. If you don't do this, you run the risk of corruption.

Hi nigh

If you PM me I will do a conversion for you

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    OK, I must have misread your earlier reply. The message indicates your database was created in A97 or earlier.
    So you will need an earlier version of Access, possibly A2007 or A2010 to open then convert the database successfully,
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

nigh is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Partial success. We do not have any old versions of Access install files but, after a couple of false starts I have installed Access 2010 Runtime. I can now open the database & can find particular entries & the links between entries so at least I know that the data is intact. What I don't have is any menus to allow me to convert the database or view it as a database rather than the form in the attached image. Perhaps these functions are only available in the full Access programme, not the Runtime?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	access2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	285.3 KB 
ID:	41068

yes - only available in the full version. Given the date for LastM in your screenshot, we certainly seem to be talking pre 2000. - also has a very 20th Century look. I'm surprised it worked in access 2013. Mike has offered to do the conversion for you - see post#23

nigh is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    yes - only available in the full version. Given the date for LastM in your screenshot, we certainly seem to be talking pre 2000. - also has a very 20th Century look. I'm surprised it worked in access 2013. Mike has offered to do the conversion for you - see post#23
    It looks good & works very well when it is working. The interface was developed over several years by a software engineer here who, unfortunately, became ill & died without being able to explain his working to anyone else.

I will send the file to Mike.

good luck!

nigh is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    mike60smart has very kindly converted the database for me & I can now open it. I don't get all of the original functionallity but I have enough to be able to work with. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.