nick243 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2002

Query strategy recreating a spread sheet in Access

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	40980

Here is an example of what I am trying to accomplish in Access. Is this a fees able spreadsheet to bring over to access by way of tables and queries. What are some strategies to properly do this? Do I need several cross tab queries? Would the use of coding work better? Any help to get me started on the right track would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nick Clutter

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Explain more on what it is your are trying to do and why or what issue you are trying to resolve or improve by going to Access. You want to mimic this spreadsheet in an Access form or report? You can do a lot of things in Access and with all that formatting I would think you would need some combination of everything, coding, subforms, queries, etc. to do what that sheet displays.

Thank You for the response. Our original problem was the fact that our Excel file was getting large around 220,000 KB's for just the damages file itself not to mention our shortages and overages file that is large. There are quite a few formulas that go into each month. We figured we would start big and capture all countries for 12 months. I am trying to capture our new damage claims file that we get each month and sales each month for each country we sell to. Give the rates for each country and put them in order for highest damage rate. I would like this in any suitable format query, form, or report that mimics this spreadsheet. Yes, there is quite a bit of formatting before hand that takes place.

Bulzie is offline VIP
    You might want to check some of the sample code and databases on this site. Orange is good maybe to help point out some of those. I'd say map out your table structure first as everything else will sit on top of that. Then once you get the data in, just start working on it trying different methods. Others on here also might be able to help if they have done similar works. Good luck.

I have been able to get this information based off of 1 months of information. Now I'm trying to get 2 months worth with the new information we have. This seems to be my catching point. I don't know how to turn my query into a month to month query adding up the pieces and cost for each new month along with rates.

Thanks,
    Nick Clutter

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Normally that is what a crosstab query does but not sure how you have your table and data set up. Maybe play around with it some to see.

I am currently researching Crosstab queries to understand how I can make this work. Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.