davidb is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit

Need professional help with Database like Northwind

We own a small company which is a wholesale distributor. We need a database to handle all our ordering, contact, invoicing, and other records.

I have some experience fooling around with Access, and the Northwind sample database looks like it should handle everything we need, and more. We would need to tweak things here and there. I would hire a professional to do this.

I have heard two opposite opinions on this: 1.) Northwind is an established database that is basically ready to go as is, or 2) Modifying an existing database like that is asking for trouble.

I could use some training on simply navigating Northwind, and importing our data, which is all in spreadsheet form now.

It seems like this is something that could be accomplished with a couple hours of distance training and design.

We may also want to have the DB accessible to one or two people working remotely either through SQL on a server or through a remote connection to my computer.

Is this a feasible plan? Is this forum an appropriate place to look for freelance help with this?

Please excuse any of my butchering of the correct nomenclature.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

David

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Well, it's your business. Do you spend most of your time "working" your business?
    You do Customer service, ordering, contact, invoicing, inventory management,, accounts etc now in spreadsheets.
    How does current method(s) work? What is the key factor for making a change?

I don't think Northwind is business ready. It's good for some concepts, but lacks some details.

davidb is offline Novice
    Thanks for the reply Orange.

I'm not sure I understand your first question. Currently I spend way too much time with data entry. I am generating multiple Excel files that serve different functions (quotes, invoices, bills of lading, etc.) for each order, and also manually entering our orders into our suppliers' ordering pages. I also copy and paste between different forms. It is all very kludgey and time consuming and hard to find things.

I want a more streamlined way to have everything in one file. Ultimately a clerical person would do the orders, and I wouldn't touch it that much.

What do you think Northwind is lacking? I don't mind having a fresh DB built from scratch, but it almost seems like it is re-inventing the wheel if Northwind is already set up and able to do everything I need. I assumed Northwind would be a lot less costly, and all the complicated relationships are already built. But I certainly don't mind starting from scratch.

David

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Look on some other forums and use Google to find comments on Northwind.
    Here's one link that may get you more info on Northwind.

You say
    I have some experience fooling around with Access
    As I said it's your business, and unless you have lots of spare time to learn database concepts (and forget much of your familiarity with spreadsheet) and then review your business processes to identify weaknesses and identify the "would be nice to haves" in the "new database world"; design the database structure (model) and test it thoroughly with several what if scenarios and identified reports and queries (to get a blueprint for your proposed database); build that database, convert the existing multiple spreadsheets to the new database, set up some training for others and documentation for yourself and others -you may find that your business suffers during this development and changeover time frame.

There is more to database than M$oft and a few marketers would have you believe.
    You really need a list of requirements and you know the business so you should build that list. It should deal with any current issues, and the things you'd like to make your life a little easier. Then, there is the analysis of the details and what is doable in specific chunks (based on priorities). You may find a software package or a commercial service that can handle your needs.

My concern with doing it yourself is that you drastically underestimate the effort (and time away from your business).

If you do it yourself, or hire someone or review your needs against commercial offerings --you need sufficient detail (that only you know) to make good decisions.

There are several articles in the link in my signature re Database Planning and Design that you may find useful.

Good luck.

davegri is online now Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Instead of Access, you might investigate the many cloud services available for monthly cost. I had good experience with getting a wholesaler onto Freshbooks.com a few years ago.
    A clear advantage of the cloud is that it can be used from anywhere by any number of users.
    Another advantage is that customers can log in to see their invoices and also PAY them online. I don't think this is even possible with Access.
    Last edited by davegri; 02-15-2020 at 04:57 PM. Reason: more

davidb is offline Novice
    Thanks for clarifying, Orange. I understand your earlier post now. I didn't communicate clearly what I am looking for.

I have zero desire to design this myself, or to make any modifications to Northwind myself. My goal is to get a turn-key solution that is ready for me to use.

My idea for getting some tutoring is only for the purpose of learning how to navigate the Northwind DB to learn what it can do for me as-is.

Northwind seems to have everything I need: contacts, products, pricing, inventory, invoicing, ordering, shipping, etc. It also has a few things I don't need. So I was thinking if someone could give me a guided tour of it, I could determine if it will work for me, or if it is better to start from scratch.

Does this make more sense now?

Thanks,

David

davidb is offline Novice
    Thanks for the cloud suggestion, Davegri. In many ways the cloud solution makes a lot of sense for me. That particular one you mention doesn't look like it will work for me, at first glance. It doesn't look like it can handle inventory, SKU's, etc. I could be mistaken.

I appreciate different suggestions and ideas. Much of the problem is I don't know enough about the different options out there. The only thing I am familiar with that looks like it will work is Access.

David

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    most of the cloud services (or any off the shelf applications) rely on the 80-20 rule - they do 80% of what you need well, and you have to compromise on the 20%. If you can live with the compromises, then that should be the way to go.

Northwind is more about demonstrating the software features, not necessarily applying good practice. Making changes could be tricky and personally not something I would want to consider.

You might want to consider getting a professional to do what you require - their development time will be significantly quicker, they'll know the pitfalls and what questions you need to ask yourself - expect a detailed interrogation! You would need to determine a budget which typically will be based on what time saved is worth to you, the added value of the system to your customers/employee satisfaction plus more measurable costs such as reduced wastage. Probably doesn't relate to you but as an example - missed appointments. Missed appointments cost money. Around 7% of appointments don't happen for whatever reason and you can't get the time back. If your rate is £50/hour and you have a 35 hour week - that equates to about £125/week or around £6000/year. A system that reduces that percentage to say 2% will break even around £4500/year - if it costs less then you are saving money as well as providing a better service.

We may also want to have the DB accessible to one or two people working remotely either through SQL on a server or through a remote connection to my computer.
    remote access always comes with a cost. For sql on a server, (with front end on users machine) consider Azure - issue is for security, access is granted based on IP so remote users cannot connect from anywhere, only those locations with a documented IP such as home. It is not suitable for users who want to connect from wherever. Having said that I have heard but not tried the idea that the user turns on their personal hotspot on their phone and connects their laptop to the web via the hotspot. The other alternative is to use terminal server or citrix where both front end and back end are on the web and you connect using remote desktop . Failing that, you can subscribe to a desktop sharing service such as zoom, team viewer etc to your pc however only one person can connect at a time and of course would be sharing the desktop with yourself, so you probably need a couple of spare pc's for them to connect to.

davidb is offline Novice
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I found a developer who understands what I need, and can discuss it in a way that is clear to me. He is working on building from scratch, confirming what I have been told about trying to modify Northwind.

Hopefully I am on the right track.

David

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Good luck David. An interesting project, I'm sure forum members would like to hear some updates as things progress.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.