NadiaWilkes is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Using Tab Controls

Why when using tab control on a form (I have about 4 or 5 pages to my Tab Control) for some reason when I run a report that I have created based on the information in those different control pages it will not populate unless I have data in each of the pages. Some of the records will not need data in each of the tab control pages and I don’t want to have to put random data in just so I can get a report to populate. There must be a work around or something that I am not doing correctly? Help!
    thanks in advance. 😄

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    report will not show anything if there is no data to show.

The report could use a Union query,
    Q1 your normal data, (which could be empty)
    Q2 a table with 1 record for every possibilty just so the rpt wont be empty

then union qry:
    select * from Q1
    union
    select * from Q2

Thanks ranman256. I have data in some of the tabs control pages. There are data fields in every page in the tab control. Some fields have quantities in most pages but when I run a report based on all the pages no data shows on the report unless there are fields with entires in all of the tab control pages. Hope I make sense. Lol

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    you don't report on the form, you report on the data in the table/query... using the Key the form has on it.
    Im guessing is the tab.value.

or, assign the 'report query' to use via the tab.value.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Hmmm, well actually there is not enough info about your dB.

So I know you have a main form with a tab control that has 5 tabs/pages.
    Nothing about the form - is it bound to a table/query?
    What about the table relationships? Are there multiple related tables?
    What is on the tabs/pages? Are there controls bound to the same table as the form? Are there sub forms on the tabs/pages? Are the Link Master Fields/Link Child Fields set?
    What is the report record source? Table or query?

Hi Steve
    the main form is bound to a table. Each of the pages in the tab control have a sub form. Each of these sub forms have a relationship to the main form like-
    Main Form has ID and sub form one page1 LabourId and sub form of page2 MaterialsID etc ... relationships are one to many.the sub forms on each page have their own tables. Yes, link master field/ link child fields are set. The report I try to run is table ... or query. I have tried both ways . Basically I go into the main form .... add the customers details. (This is all about labour and materials selections then the ability to run 3 reports. 1. The customers quotation, 2. The actual take off items that were worked out and 3 the report for the warehouse of what they need to get ready for the customer. Once I have entered the customers details I go to each of the page tabs and enter applicable data. One of the pages I have the ability to add an image or 2 if I want to for the customer (not always required) however when I run any of the reports unless I have at least 1 field on each page with data the report will be blank, fields on the reports will be empty. I hope this makes more sense. Sorry. Thanks heaps

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    This would be easier with your dB, but onward....

I ALWAYS use queries for form and report record sources. I might not want all fields in a form/report. Or I might want to filter the records. IMHO, it is easier using a query.
    The following is to illustrate Join Properties in a query.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Joins1.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	40906
    Say you want a report of ALL Project Managers and the projects assigned to them. The Project Managers are Tom, Dick, Harry and Bob. But Bob does not have a project assigned to him.
    If you create a query like Query1 (above), Project Managers Tom, Dick & Harry will be in the report - poor Bob will not show up. This is because the Join Properties is Option 1.

To have Bob show up in the report, the Join Properties would have to be Option 2.

So you need to adjust the Join Properties for your report. (but since I don't have your dB.....)
    I would suggest trying Option #2....

Thanks for that Steve .... I can see a couple of places I have gone wrong just by the diagram so I will make some changes as per your message and see how I go. ��������

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.