Dougharter is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

could not update: record locked and dropping connection

I have within the past week or so started getting the record locked on record updates and having the connection drop on record open using oledb. It is very intermittent. It is happening on Any Access database and I am the only user on the system. I am Using Office 365 Home and always accept upgrades. The disk is around 2 years old and gets a LOT of use. Is there a possibility my disk could be going bad that is causing the problem and should I bite the bullet and take it in for checking out?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    no harm in doing that but not sure what you mean by connection drop? what is your setup? Access split FE and BE? BE on a server or different machine? What is the actual error message?

There have been some issues due to bugs in win10 and office 365 updates so might be worth checking if you have had an update within the last week and if so roll it back

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks Alex.
    Connection Drop: I am opening the connection and I get: No Error message available. Result code: E_UNEXPECTED(0x8000FFFF). The next statement tells me: GetOleDBSchemaTable requires an open and available connection. The connection current state is closed.

All system files and programs are on my C: drive and all personal files are on F:, which is the other partition of C:. I have no idea what you mean by Access split FE & BE. All this code was working a couple weeks ago. As far as rolling back to the last version of Access, my backups just backup the current version of files. I have no way of getting the last version. I'm pretty sure I did get an upgrade of Office a week or 2 ago. I did reinstall Office 365 and, as you can see, it made no difference. I did clean up my disk also. I do have the version of the exe from 2/6, but I'm pretty sure that's not far enough back. PLUS I'm not sure if I just need MSACCESS.exe.

I need to get this fixed. I am in the middle of an upgrade and it is kinda hard to test when the program aborts because of this problem. Then I have to roll back the database so I can continue testing.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    standard practice for access is to split the app into FE and BE (front end and back end). The back end contains only tables, the front end everything else (forms/reports/queries/code/,macros).

If you have not split then as far a the db is concerned there is no connection (the one that connects the FE to the BE, typically a linked table) so unless you app is 'connecting' to something else like excel or text files, the error does not make sense - which implies a problem with the access application itself - when I referred to rolling back, I meant roll back the access application to pre update, not your app.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If there actually IS a problem with the Access application, will this forum help them to get out a fix? I have had a major problem reporting problems to MicroHard (as my favorite author calls it). As a retired programmer, I cannot afford to pay their rates to analyze anything. I reported a problem to a Microsoft Chat lady at least 6 months ago that anytime there is a release of Outlook, it resets my starting folder and have not seen that fixed at all. I have been told to report problems to the Forums. This problem is putting a a severe hurt on my Access applications, in addition to the one I am updating.

I would prefer to NOT close this thread until I get some assurance a fix is being worked upon.

Sorry Ajax, I read your name incorrectly.
    Last edited by Dougharter; 02-14-2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: More comments

CJ_London is offline VIP
    we have zero control over MS - afraid the work is down to you. Updates are all logged and you can see them by clicking on the windows icon bottom left and typing 'view windows updates' and for office 'view office updates'. Within access you can also go to file>help to find your version number

I would also type into google your error message and find any recent threads - if it is an update issue then you won't be the only one with the problem.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    other considerations - if it was working and now is not, ergo something has changed. Either the environment (windows/office updates) or something you have done. Just realised you said 'Then I have to roll back the database so I can continue testing.' So are you making changes in your testing processes? i.e. test, find a problem, fix, retest.

And as said before, MS strongly advise splitting - if you are in testing phase, and this is going out to a wider user base it is vital you do this

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Further to Ajax's suggestion of splitting the database, here is info from FMS.
    If you feel your hard disk may be an issue, you can get a sense of disk health with CrystalDiskInfo or CrystalDiskMark.
    If you have a specific drive, then the manufacturer may have a specific utility to assess your disk's status/health.
    Good luck.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    As I mentioned earlier, I am the ONLY user, so splitting is not an issue. I have programs I use to do things for other people, but again, I am the only one who uses the programs. The main program I am updating is used by others, but the last update for others was several years ago & I am not releasing this one until it is thoroughly tested.

I did check the Office updates and the last one was August 11 and Access wasn't updated, and my problems started before that. I have made recent changes to the 3 programs I am having problems with, so I will have to delve in with debugging and see what is happening. However, the same sections of code are called repeatedly and it only aborts sometimes.

I did find this when Googling it:
    E_UNEXPECTED is usually returned on catastrophic failures. It means "I can't say what went wrong, but something is definitely wrong and I don't think you can do anything about it. Abort the program and get over it". Most of the time it is returned when some invariant is broken because of a bug or a failure to recognize defective input data (or parameters) lead to a corruption of internal data. Lazy programmers however return it when they don't feel like digging up a useful error

Incidentally, when registering it asked what version of Office I am using, I answered 2016, since I bought Office 365 a couple of years ago. I can't find in any of my Office products what year or version they are.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I'm confused - you originally said

I have within the past week or so started getting the record locked on record updates and having the connection drop on record open using oledb.
    now you are saying

I did check the Office updates and the last one was August 11 and Access wasn't updated, and my problems started before that.
    the conclusion has to be that it is something you have done and nothing to to with windows/office updates

I can't find in any of my Office products what year or version they are.
    stuff moves around with each version, but typically you'll find it under file>help as advised in post #6

perhaps you can copy/paste the code you are using when the error occurs - it may be you are not clearing objects from memory, trying to create a too large an array, have a variable undeclared, could be anything. If you do post code, make sure you surround with the code tags to preserve formatting. (copy>paste>click the # button)

one other thought - have you a) decompiled your file(s) and b) compact/repaired? decompiling will get rid of a lot of code chaff that compact/repair will not do

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Part of the problem may be that I am using an unsupported VB2008 and oledb ACE12.0 . I am debating moving up to at least VB2012. Having something more recent may cut down on problems. However the next time I use the programs I am having trouble with, I am going to run in the compiler & see if it is an actual miscoding or completely intermittent. I will not update this thread further unless I have a solution or can narrow it down to something other than coding.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    from your description, that sound like access 2007 - which should work fine in 2016

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have a solution, of a sort. However, I seemed to have caused another worse problem.
    I was able to solve my UNEXPECTED problem by going from ACE.OLEDB.12.0 to Jet.OLEDB.4.0. It also seems to have made the record locked go away.

ACE 12, as you know, is actually AccessDatabaseEngine.exe. I thought (probably a bad idea) if ACE.12.0 was causing problems, I would go up to ACE.14.0 and see if that would be better. I found 14, downloaded it, uninstalled 12 & installed 14. Now my program can't use Excel. When I try to add Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel (after deleting the old one, which it couldn't find)as a reference (and it shows on the list of references) it can't load it. HELP!!!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    that is because your earlier version of excel/access whatever cannot recognise a later version of the ace database.

Note that JET is the oldstyle db for access 2003 and earlier. JET is what windows uses for managing itself and is not a full version

You have have yet to give a clear explanation of what you are trying to do, but it feel like you are trying to break office into small components rather than just use them as provided.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I just discovered this was never Closed,so am closing it. 3 years later I don't know if it was ever solved. if I find it wasn't, I will start another thread

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.