tpann is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Update table with form calculation?

Noob here, sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere. I don't know how to look for it.

So I have two tables, tbl_Main and tbl_Details. tbl_Main contains information about individual transactions. The total amount of a transaction can be spread across multiple budget categories so tbl_Details contains specific amounts for each category for a given transaction -- sub-transactions. A transaction and its details are linked by tbl_Main's transID.

Amounts are tracked in tbl_Details but no amount is kept in tbl_Main.

The two tables are represented by a form (tbl_Main) and a subform (tbl_Details). I have managed to get a transaction total to display on the main form based on the sum of the sub-transactions in the main form.

But now I want to create reports that display both transaction total amounts and transactions broken out by category. So somewhere the report has to get a given transaction's total from tbl_Details. I am stuck because I don't know how to do that.

I have assumed I don't want to store the transaction total in tbl_Main, is that correct? But if I do then I don't know how to dump that value from the form back into the table. Like I said, noob.

Thank you!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    the form can use tDetails as a subform for you to see 1 person & all their transactions.
    for the report, make a query that joins the 2 tables and this is used in the report.
    the report would be similar to the form, a master record group, and all records in the details row would show the tDetails.

the report wizard could do this for you.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.