kiwichick is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

textbox "can grow" moves other controls

Hi there, I am new to databases and have a problem with a textbox set to "can grow". My form allows for multiple "Common Names" of a plant (one on each line). My report has the Common Name textbox set to yes for "can grow" and "can shrink" to allow for this. But when I add more than one name to the form, on the report all the subsequent textboxes are pushed down the page. Is there any way to stop this happening? I've looked at all the settings on the Property Sheet but I can't see anything obvious. Thanks :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 form.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	40864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1 report.jpg 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	40865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 form.jpg 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	40866Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 report.jpg 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	40867
    Last edited by kiwichick; 02-11-2020 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Spelling error

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    not sure why the view of the text box changes, sometime a border, sometimes not, showing a scroll bar when it should not.

it is not functionality I use very often, but perhaps size the control to same height as picture and turn off can shrink - and perhaps put the latin name above it rather than below. then, if there are too many rows to show it can still grow and just move the descriptive text, which it will need to to avoid overlapping

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Do you have a separate actual Report besides the Form or are you just printing the Form?

Reports and Forms act a little different with the "can grow" property as in a report you cannot scroll in a box as you can on a form so you have to make sure on reports if you want all the text that it "can grow" if you are not sure how much text will go in that box. You just have to play around with it some to see what works best. Usually I try to stack the boxes instead of putting side by side as you could have odd spacing. Maybe take the picture out and see how the boxes stack and grow to see if it works like you want. As Ajax said, maybe move the latin box to see if that affects anything.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks Ajax, yes it looks as though I'll have to change the order of the common and botanical names. Not ideal but at least it works. And as Bulzie suggested, it's caused by the image.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks Bulzie, yes it seems the image is the problem. I've tried swapping sides and putting the image on the left, and also Grouping the image with the textboxes below it, but no luck. I tried Ajax's suggestion of changing the two name textboxes and resizing Common Name and that works.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.