WBlohm is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

OLE and Text Fields with MS Word

I created a Access 2003 DB with a field called "Notes," where obviously we store case file notes in. However, because the field size maximum was 255, I converted to to a memo field, to take advantage of the 60,000+ character maximum size. When the data was still being truncated just as it was with the 255 character limit, after several hours of searching the Web, I came across an article explaining how to correct this. I was able to successfully make a new field called "Word Notes" as an OLE Object (linked to a Word Document). When I copied and pasted the "Notes" field data into "Word Notes" field, it is now displayed as "long binary data" in the tables Datasheet View.

To my amazement, I can enter as much data as I want into the "Word Notes" field without data being truncated. Yay! However, I need to do this again with a different field called "Offense," as excess data is now being truncated. Boo! And I cannot figure out how to do this, as I cannot find the original article I referenced a year ago. I have tried the following with no success:

I created a new field called "Offense OLE" in the table in Design View, and made this into an OLE Object. Next, in Datasheet View, I inserted a New Object (created a MS Word file), however, when I go back into Datasheet View, "Long Binary Data" is not displayed, rather "Microsoft Word Document" appears. When I copy and paste the data that is being truncated from the original "Offense" field into the new OLE Oject field, "Offense OLE," my records are updated, and the display now reads "Long Binary Data." Ok, great, but when I go into my form, change the properties to reference the new OLE field I just created, the data is still being truncated, and I cannot add unlimited data like I can in the "Word Notes" field mentioned above.

Any ideas on how to get what I need? Thank you for your help.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    an OLE approach is definitely unusual. I would like to inquire as to whether you have considered a document attachment approach? If you are 60k+ characters then that's a fairly sizeable doc and one would perhaps like the editing/format capability of Word instead. Just wondering...

We have lots of clients with wide variety of peripheral documents related to a record; Word, scans, CAD/CAM drawings, pdf, etc etc. The attached document approach is the norm and perhaps what might be appropriate for your situation.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.