The X-Man is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Having trouble with a building expression

Hello all

I have a question I hope someone can answer. I have the below expression that works:
    CURRENT PAYMENTS: IIf([RMOD]='TC',[HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF10/1/19],[HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF 10/1/19]*1)

I just used this one to make sure I was writing the expression correctly and it gave me the correct results. But when I tried to add to it I keep getting an error. This is what I used:

CURRENT PAYMENTS: IIf([RMOD]='TC',[HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF10/1/19],[HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF 10/1/19]*1, IIf([POS]='NF',[RATE B HMO NONFACILITY FEES]*1, IIF([POS] ='F', [RATE B HMO FACILITY FEES]*1))

Why isn't this working, can anyone help?

Thanks

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    To nest them you must add to the "false" part of an iff expression, in the first one you have both a true and a false and in the last two only the true parts.... Comma's matter....
    Cheers,

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I see that I left out the false parts and added them. Still get an error. Now I am using:

CURRENT PAYMENTS: IIf([RMOD]='TC',[HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF 10/1/19],[HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF 10/1/19]*1, IIF([POS]='NF', [RATE B HMO NON FACILITY FEES], [RATE B HMO NON FACILITY FEES]*1, IIF([POS]= 'F', [RATE B HMO FACILITY FEES], [RATE B HMO FACILITY FEES]*1))

now I am getting an error saying that the expression has a function containing the wrong number of arguments.

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    CURRENT PAYMENTS: IIf([RMOD]='TC',[HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF 10/1/19],[HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF 10/1/19]*1, IIF([POS]='NF', [RATE B HMO NON FACILITY FEES], [RATE B HMO NON FACILITY FEES]*1, IIF([POS]= 'F',[RATE B HMO FACILITY FEES], [RATE B HMO FACILITY FEES]*1))

IIf(Expression,True,False)

Nested IIF: IIF(Expression1,True,IIF(Expression2,True,IIF(Expression........
    Hopefully you can see the pattern here, each subsequent nested iif is in the False position of the previous one, so you cannot have a true, false and another iif, only true,false(=iif)True,False(=iif.........

Cheers,
    Vlad Cucinschi
    MS Access Developer
    http://forestbyte.com/

Field names like [HMO/POS TDI FEES EFF10/1/19] indicate table structure where same type of info (pos tdi fees eff) is in several (daily or monthly) columns. As follows, you have (every day or month) add new columns to table, and edit your formulas, forms, reports etsc. With right table structure, you do all design once, and after that you have to add new data, and you get results for new day/month from forms, queries, or reports without any additional work.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks all. I actually was able to figure it out last night and you are right Gicu The problem was I didn't need the additional false expression. In addition, I didn't even need the *1 at the end either. Thanks again, you made me look deeper from you first response and it was extremely helpful.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.