paydog23 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Design View not showing tables and queries while datasheet displays results

I designed a query in access involving 2 tables and 1 sub-query. Unfortunately, in the Design View, I am no longer able to view anything other than a gray screen. In DataSheet View though, the results of my query are displayed. I have attached images of both views to this thread--how can I get the Design view to show my objects again?

Downloads.zip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Query Datasheet View Access working.png   Query Design View Blank in Access.jpg  

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I've never seen this. Post query SQL statement or provide db for anaysis - follow instructions at bottom of my post (would have to import data to local table).
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Switch to sql view and see if there's nothing there as well. If not, that's amazing.
    No chance that everything is way off to one side or bottom (I'm saying scroll vertically and horizontally to look)?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Unfortunately, the SQL view also doesn't work. I can't provide the DB for analysis because I don't have write permissions so I can't remove confidential data--I am only allowed to run select queries. Do you think this could simply be an issue of having file paths that are too long or working with datasets that are too large?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you're not creating your own queries and can only run them because of your profile, then is there really a problem with not being able to view design? I've never used a pass-through so I'm wondering if that's what you have.
    I guess there's no point in directing you to a means of randomizing data that the forum has here if you don't have edit rights against the data.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I am creating my own select queries, so yes, not being able to view design and SQL is a problem. While I can't edit the data, I can filter it down through a series of select queries to produce the final dataset that I need. Additionally, I'm using Access to double-check my work in SSMS 2012. Interestingly, this problem arises only some of the time and with just some of the queries, which is I wonder if perhaps I need to adjust a setting in File--Options or something like that. Each query draws fields from the previous query. I have 4 queries total--I have attached screenshots of all 4 design views (when working), a screenshot of the final dataset and the SQL for the final dataset. Opening and closing the file over and over again returns the design and sql views, but it's frustrating.

FINAL CODE
    Code:
    SELECT Qry3.RA, Qry3.NUMBER0, Qry3.NAME, Qry3.TINWSYS_IS_NUMBER, Qry3.VISIT_NUM, Qry3.VISIT_DATE, Qry3.VISIT_STATUS, Qry3.HIGHEST_DEFICIENCY, Qry3.WATER_SYS_NOTIF_DT, Qry3.SEVERITY, dbo_TMNVTYPE.TYPE_CODE, dbo_TMNVTYPE.NAMEFROM Qry3 LEFT JOIN dbo_TMNVTYPE ON Qry3.VT_TMNVTYPE_IS_NO = dbo_TMNVTYPE.TMNVTYPE_IS_NUMBER
    WHERE (((dbo_TMNVTYPE.TYPE_CODE)="45" Or (dbo_TMNVTYPE.TYPE_CODE)="20"));
    Downloads.zip
    Last edited by paydog23; 01-31-2020 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Posting all images

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can't recall ever knowing about this. Maybe this is your problem...
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...tination-field
    Have you ever done a compact & repair on this db? If not, try it on a copy first.

At the very least, if you use Name Auto Correct but don't meet the other criteria mentioned in that article, I'd turn that off and when all looks good, copy the sql's into new queries that don't have the exact same names as before, but save them in design view and not sql view.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    It sounds like either an issue with the dark theme or corruption within your database or Access itself

Try changing back to the Colourful theme as a first check.
    If that fails, I would create a new database and see if that has the same behaviour
    As a last resort, reinstall Access.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.