Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ultrarunner2017 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Do I want/need to upgrade to Office 2019 or 365?

Hey guys;
    I have been running Office 2010 Professional on Windows 7 since it was released.
    I recently upgraded to Windows 10, and with that, became interested in upgrading Office as well.
    I use Word, Excel, and Access on a regular but only personal basis on one PC.

I guess my first question is whether or not to upgrade from 2010 at all.
    I have installed the trial of Office 365 Home, and am liking what I see. It has a nicer look and feel than 2010. But from what I have been reading, there really isn't much more functionality, unless one needs to use the cloud features.
    There is of course the fact that Microsoft will end all support for Office 2010 later this year. But considering I am using Office on only one pc at Home, and never storing any files in the cloud, is security an issue?

If I do choose to upgrade, my next question is whether to purchase a stand-alone or subscription. From what I have been reading, there is no longer a stand-alone version that includes Access.
    If that is indeed the case, then I am looking at a 365 Personal sub, which I am leaning towards at this point.
    Or, I could stick with 2010.

What do you think?

Thanks
    FW

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I wouldnt. Usu something will break because of a version change.
    If the db works as is, keep it that way.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    its a personal preference, I'm still using 2010 because most of my clients are. As you say, there is little improved functionality. I'm also concerned about all the bugs created on windows updates - most get solved but they can be annoying, however I accept I will have to upgrade at some point, probably this year. When I do move, will probably move to 365 monthly sub

One thing I do see in Access 2019 that I did not find in 2010 is the Table Properties Sheet. Even for my relatively simple databases, I am finding it very useful.
    Is there a method to display the same sheet in 2010?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you decide to upgrade, I would seriously try to keep 2010 somehow, somewhere. I have 365 (AFAIK, that means it is subscription based and has little to do with the version of Access itself) and wish I still had 2007.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Not only do I still have 2010, I can open and work with files I created in 2019 in 2010. That surprises me.
    Anyway, I have about 25 days remaining in my trial 365 sub, so don't need to make any decisions yet.
    There's another thought: Maybe upgrading to Office 2016 would satisfy my need to have a 'new look and feel' and save me a lot of $$ in the long run. I could get 2016 (professional, I assume) now and upgrade to whatever in about 5 years.

edit: I found that I can purchase Office 2016 Professional for $80. I also Googled 'Access 2010 vs 2013' and found that, so far as functionality, there were more changes between 2010 and 2013 than there were between 2013 and 2016, and even fewer from 2016 to 2019.
    For what I am doing in Access, keeping 2010 would certainly suffice. But if I really want a new look and feel, I think 2016 Professional would be my best option.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    don't know if there are additional properties in 2019, but open the table in design view and select properties from the ribbon

June7 is online now VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrarunner2017 View Post
    One thing I do see in Access 2019 that I did not find in 2010 is the Table Properties Sheet. Even for my relatively simple databases, I am finding it very useful.
    What does this look like? I do see a Properties Sheet when table is in design view. I also just found something. Table in Datasheet view has a 'Table Properties' button on ribbon Table tab at left end. Never noticed it before.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    What does this look like? I do see a Properties Sheet when table is in design view. I also just found something. Table in Datasheet view has a 'Table Properties' button on ribbon Table tab at left end. Never noticed it before.
    I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to what changes on the ribbon depending on what mode you're in.
    Clicking the Property Sheet button on the Design ribbon opens the extensive Table Properties Sheet I saw in Access 2019; only that in 2019, it's open by default.
    Clicking Table Properties on the Table tab when in Datasheet view opens a dialog box with a few options.
    Then there is another properties dialog that opens when you right-click the table in the nav pane.

So, it looks like everything that is available in 2019 is also available in 2010, albeit in a different place.
    Now that the novelty of the new UI for Office 2019 is beginning to wear off, and I'm getting down to actually designing a database, I'm going to stick with 2010 - at least for the time being.
    What happens after MS ends all support - including security patches - for Office 2010 depends on how I am using the product.
    I feel pretty safe working only at home on a wired network with an ISP supplied router which includes the basic firewall (NAT, and perhaps something else), plus my up-t0-date subscription to ESET Internet security.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think you might be in a minority. I've seen a lot of negative comments over the look of Access 2016, one being the ridiculously thin borders around forms. I find the red theme quite dull but haven't bothered to try anything else. Then there is the Office theme you can apply - a whopping 4 choices and all of them as dull as a denim knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I think you might be in a minority. I've seen a lot of negative comments over the look of Access 2016, one being the ridiculously thin borders around forms. I find the red theme quite dull but haven't bothered to try anything else. Then there is the Office theme you can apply - a whopping 4 choices and all of them as dull as a denim knife.
    I haven't designed any forms in 2019 yet. I was working only with datasheet and design, and a few queries.
    I guess when you're comparing to Access 2010, anything looks better. I find the color scheme in Office 2010 to be utterly boring.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I find the color scheme in Office 2010 to be utterly boring
    Is that the old Silver/Olive/Blue thing that I remember from 2007? I liked the silver look!
    Not that it really matters what you see if you try a form before your trial runs out. There isn't much you can do aside from creating a db of objects just so you can copy them into a new project each time

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I detest the "Pastel" look for A365. And I think it is a shame that you cannot buy a standalone version of Access. Why should I have to pay forever to use Office? <sigh> I guess it is time to start investigating Linux and OpenOffice.
    I still have Access 2000, Access 2007 and Access2010 (my main version) installed on different computers (Win 2K, Win XP and Win7). And I think I still have a 486 running Win 3.11 with Office 6 (??).

<Start Rant>
    I really hate the Subscription model. MS already killed my A2010 running on WinXP. When there is an update, the "update" disables all Office apps. I have to keep reloading Office.
    I paid for Win and Office. I should be able to use them as long as I want! I understand the risks....
    </End Rant>

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    I have every version of Access from 1.0 through to A365 with the exception of A2019 retail.
    Most of these are on VMs for testing purposes but my main development machine has both A2010 and A365.
    Managing both together usually works well as long as you take care

A2010 remains my version of choice for the range of features,appearance & stability.
    A365 is much harder on the eyes and prone to numerous bugs.
    It also has fewer features than A2010 as several items have since been deprecated & almost nothing of consequence added.
    You can save files to the cloud in either version
    But in the end its personal preference
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That's where a tower and swapable drives beats every other configuration I ever had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.