bds022 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Syntax to deal with empty combo box when used as a query input parameter

I have a user interface that allows a user to interact with a combo box to refine search criteria and the records that are returned (in a subform) from a query. I do not want an empty combo box to mean that the query only returns records with a corresponding empty value. Instead, I want all values returned when the combo box is empty (the user just has not yet interacted with the search menu at that level of detail).

The basic idea I am trying to accomplish is here (put on the criteria line in the query design view):

IIf(IsNull([Forms]![PlanBuilder]![cmbABETOutcomeSearch]),Like "#" Or Is Null,[Forms]![PlanBuilder]![cmbABETOutcomeSearch])

If the combo box has a null value, I want it to return records with any number in that field, including those that have a null value in the field. If the user has specified a value in the combo box, then I want the query to return only records with that value in the field.

The individual components work great. My line

Like "#" Or Is Null

does what I want when entered into the criteria line directly. But I get a syntax error when I embed within iff as I have done above. Any idea how to clear the syntax problem?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you would use something like

WHERE (sometablefield like [Forms]![PlanBuilder]![cmbABETOutcomeSearch] or [Forms]![PlanBuilder]![cmbABETOutcomeSearch] IS NULL)

note # is a wildcard - it means any number digit

bds022 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks, but I think what you describe would behave the same whether the user has interacted with the combo box, or not. I need it to behave differently. If the combo box has not been used or is otherwise empty, I don't want it to affect the query. But once it has a value, I do want its value included as query criteria.

June7 is offline VIP
    Did you try suggestion? I did. It seems every record is returned whether or not parameter is provided.

I don't use dynamic parameters in query. I prefer VBA to build criteria and apply to form or report http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bds022 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I would prefer to set this up as a dynamic parameter in the query design window. I am a fairly novice user myself, and my team that will be using this knows even less about Access and VBA

CJ_London is offline VIP
    suggest provide some example data, an example of something selected in the combobox and the expected result

as already stated, # is a wildcard

but I think what you describe would behave the same whether the user has interacted with the combo box, or not.
    that's what your think? did you try it?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.