TommyK is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Handles too small - or - slippery mouse cursor

I guess you call them handles. While 'handles' are usually squares at corners and middle of edges of windows and frames, in Access the entire sides are grab-able for horizontal or vertical sizing, as well as the corners for concurrent horizontal and vertical sizing. When I open an object from the "All Access Objects" side of the screen, the object opens as a window on the right. If it is not in Maximum or Minimum size,i.e. free form size, I have difficulty grabbing hold of the handles at the corners and sides. It seems that in Access that the 'sweet spot', where the double ended arrows show, is one pixel in size. It is most difficult to click this double arrow without nudging the mouse out of range, thus reverting to the "I" beam, which is useless for sizing the windows. Usually, after multiple attempts, I can grab that 'brass ring' and resize the window. This seems to have become a problem when I was migrated to Windows10, or possibly a later version of MSOffice.

This is not a problem with other sizing features on the other MSOffice applications, just Access. Sometimes, moving the mouse off the fabric topped mouse pad to the smooth desk top allows for minutely less jerky movement of the cursor, but it is still nearly impossible to grab a sweet spot.

Is there a way to 'widen' the frame so that the sweet spot is bigger than a single, solitary pixel? I've tried changing the mouse cursor speed to no avail. Again, it is a problem for me only in Access.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    This was an issue in the retail version of Access 2016 & in A365 which was eventually fixed after about two years.
    It you have either of these, check you have applied any updates available.

However your profile says A2007. As far as I know the 1px border wasn't an issue in that version.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

TommyK is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Guess what? I must have first set up an account here when I was on Access 2007. I just hovered over the Access icon on my task bar; Access 2016. In my academic, work environment, us peons are not allowed Administrator access, probably for good reason. So, I doubt it has been updated since it's first install. I will quiz my LAN admin to see if they can update me. Is there a particular update version number I should be asking for?

TommyK is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I've updated my profile with my current environment.

Sorry I don't know the answer to that question.
    The fix for Access 365 was released March 2019. See https://access.uservoice.com/forums/...ious_statuses}
    Not sure when A2016 was fixed but probably after that
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

TommyK is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have requested our LAN Admin to update me to the latest and greatest Access 2016. When he does that, I'll leave another post, and click the star.

Hopefully that will fix your problem but I should warn you that two recent updates have caused major issues
    1. Update in Nov 2019 caused a 'query is corrupt' error for update queries with filter criteria. That was fixed in Dec
    2. New bug from about 8 Jan affecting linked SQL Server tables with an identity field (autonumber) being misidentified as number. Not yet fixed but likely to be done soon.

Both Windows and Office updates have been increasingly buggy. At least one major Access bug hasn't been fixed after almost 2 years.
    Another fairly obscure security issue was recently fixed after 17 years. On recent form, expect side effects!

TommyK is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    UPDATE: Welp, my LAN updated my Windows10 with the latest patches. But, I don't believe he updated Access. However, he gave me a work around that has been there since God knows when.

WORK-AROUND:

Open an Access database. Open an object. On the open object pane, hover your cursor over the object type icon in the upper right corner of the pane's frame. Ring-finger click to get a fly-out menu. In the fly-out menu, index-finger click, and hold "Size". This begets a cursor which is a bold-ish four sided arrow. Index click, then hold. While holding, drag towards the side of the frame you wish to drag. When the four sided arrow lines up with the pixel width frame, it 'grabs' it. CONTINUE TO HOLD. Continue draging the cursor in the desired direction. The pane will then expand in that direction until you release the mouse button. Voila! It's done. I will continue to do this until he gets around to updating my Access... I'm not holding my breath.

For what it's worth, Windows panes work similarly. However, on Windows panes, the initial ring finger click has to be over the area between the upper left and upper right corners. This does not work, however, if you are in a Firefox browser window.

Having said that, I'm going to mark this thread as solved.

Thanks Isladogs!
    Last edited by TommyK; 01-23-2020 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Marking as solved.

Well that certainly sounds convoluted.
    You've described the issue perfectly and it drove everyone mad for over 2 years
    Anyway at least you have a fix that you can work with for now

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.