lumiere is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Problem regarding selecting multiple value in single field using form

Hi

I am making a database to track the daily sales. The problem is how to enter multiple items that are sold. A customer may buy one or more items.

I have made a table with list of iems sold (tbl-items), then used a combo box on form which uses tbl-items as row source. However I can select only one item. I also tried using Lookup Wizard.., and selecting allow multiple values but it gives a check box of items which I really dont want to use as the list conists of around 50 items and there is no keyboard support (pressing 'B' on keyboard wont take me to items starting with B).

Is there any other way to do it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    It's not clear if you form design is correct for this. You ought to have a main form for the purchaser and/or sales info that is on the 'one' side of the transaction (this would be sales date, location, purchaser name for example) and a subform for the sales items as the many side. The link between the 2 is made via (usually) one field that is common between the 2. Sales number is probably a unique value (at least for a particular location) and would support this. The many side table (tblSalesDetail) would contain the PK (salesID) as a foreign key (FK). To achieve easier item selection as you mentioned, you can use a 'find as you type' feature for combos and enter one item at a time in said subform. You can also multi select from a listbox, but then you need code to append every selected item in the list into the sales details table.

If that's not making sense, research forms with subforms.

EDIT - there is also an 'Auto Expand' feature of combos. If the property (see property sheet for the combo(s)) is set to yes, the values that appear will match what was typed.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.